Ign Timing & Carb Link Adjust P115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ign Timing & Carb Link Adjust P115

I'm setting the timing mechanically just like the factory service manual describes in the "Periodic Maintenance" section and I'll have some questions as I go along.

The first question concerns the Adjust length of full advanced stopper (1), the specs call for the length to be 26mm, but the drawing is not clear from where the measurement is taken, it looks like it is from about half way from the screw mount in the drawing, but if I use that point then the magneto control link (3) is not long enough to reach the mark, it can't be adjusted any longer. I therefore, set the full advanced stopper at 26mm measuring from the base of the screw mount to the tip. Is that correct?

Last edited by KlinkSanford; 02-11-2016, 01:57 PM.
    1993 Mako 161 Flats, 1994 P115TLRS

Last edited by KlinkSanford; 02-11-2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I think what you did is correct. Here is an illustration from a later 115 manual.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe99.

It looks like the only other fixed link which must be exact and governs the others is the throttle cam control link, which must be set at 53mm. When I did that, the throttle roller does not touch the cam at the 4 ATDC, there is a small gap. The throttle roller adjustment screw (2) is stuck, I'll PB Blaster it over night and see tomorrow.

Comment

remember
          its a static adjustment to get you close.

it still has to be done dynamicily.

means ya gotta do it at both idle,pickup and WOT.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            remember

Dynamically means with a timing light in the water, right? Doing Idle and Pickup timing is easy and safe in the water, however, how does one do the WOT? I did it once with a 25hp Johnson, my son driving, but that only went like 23 mph. This 115 should do close to 50 MPH WOT.

Comment

remember

Is that what the manual says?

Are we to believe the manual or what some macanic/anganeer sez?

Comment

you can do it hanging off the back at 50 MPH, I have.
                or
                you can use test wheel YB1624 or any dynamometer.

Comment

Originally posted by KlinkSanford View Post
                  The throttle roller adjustment screw (2) is stuck, I'll PB Blaster it over night and see tomorrow.
                  Almost 3 days and the throttle roller adjustment screw is not budging.

I also notice the throttle roller has a flat spot and don't see any way to remove the roller, it is not replaceable as far as I can see.

Considering the stuck screw and the un-removable roller with a flat spot, I'm thinking of placing a sliver of aluminum sheet on the flat spot and then covering the roller with heat shrink. That should fill in the roller to cam gap.

Any thoughts?

Comment

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      That cam roller 682-41291-00-00 does not fit my 1994 P115TLRS, my engine is not on the list of engines that part covers. That cam roller looks like it attaches with a circlip, mine however is fixed.
                      Last edited by KlinkSanford; 02-13-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

its hard to find but the roller is replacable.
                        it pulls off.
                        the new one simply pushs on.

myself I am thinking your shooting yourself it the feets.

myself,at this point BEFORE breaking something I would use a timing light and dynamically check it and see how close it is.

Comment

it pulls off.

myself,at this point BEFORE breaking something I would use a timing light and dynamically check it and see how close it is.
                          And continues to do so, stopping only long enough to reload.

He also thinks his motor does not use the roller I referred him to because "my engine is not on the list of engines that part covers."

Can anyone in their right mind ever think that Yamaha data is incomplete?

Not me.

Comment

it pulls off.

Yep, I should have tested it on the water with the timing light first before adjusting anything. If a new cam just slips on, I'll I will just then slip in a new cam roller and test it on the water with the light. Right now I can't test it on the water because I sold my truck. If the cam arrives before the new (used) truck and it goes on easily, I'll install it. If not I'll just test it as is.

Thanks Rodbolt & Boscoe, don't ever think I don't listen. I'm all ears. This engine is new to me, and the first Yamaha, I'm just going by what I see, that is why I come to this Yamaha forum to ask questions the manual does not explain.

God Bless

Comment

if ya really really wanna find a hard to find part, try finding the water restrictors for the bottom of the block on a 2.6L.
                              or the blocking diode for the alarm system on the mid to late 80"s 2.6L.

however typically if a motor has been in service successfully for over 20 yrs, odds are high the ign timing part of the linkage is ok and does NOT need any assistance.
                              remember its ALL mechanical.
                              unless a part breaks OR some one puts the ole skinners on them, they never change.

Comment

Working...
                              X