No announcement yet.

225 TXR vent side of VST dirty and clogged screen on HP pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre is right. That canister has salt water in it. It's easy to pull and check. Put your finger on the one inlet side, blow on the other inlet and water was spitting out the 3rd inlet. The only way water can get in there is from the loop hose. It had to be a series of waves forcing water past the loop and into the canister.

I'm up to $275.00 in replacement parts to fix. New canister, relief valve($96.00 is highway robbery), vst seals, etc...

Salt water travels past the canister, and up the hose to the relief valve. Once that relief valve corrodes, salt or oxidized aluminum can get into the VST tank and settle at the bottom. Start the engine, and that crud gets sucked up into the screen on the HP pump. Lean condition... Waste an hour pulling vst tank apart. I had to do it once 30 miles off shore this summer.

That's the only thing I can conclude at this point. I hope I'm right.

When I get a new canister, I'll cut the old one open for fun and post the pics here.

Comment

I have a 2005 F225, so naturally I'm very interested (and horrified)

That "relief valve" is, by its nature a one-way "check valve" - with a spring-loaded ball

I'm having trouble imagining how anything (seawater?) could flow back through it...

and I've actually disassembled my port side latch just to see the tiny vent hole -

wave action, sending water up through there, through the tubing, all the way to carbon canister?

the mind reels...

you have my deepest sympathy

Comment

are you sure someone hasn't attached any hoses incorrectly?
        its simply a vent.
        if the canister has salt water in it something is not attached to the correct spot.

Comment

Rodbolt interesting point. It's easy to look at the starboard engine since it is fine and make sure it's assembled the same way on the port engine when I put it back together. I have photos of the hoses on the port engine to see if the hoses were put on the wrong inlets. Of course, I have 4 ft snowdrifts blocking the boat in, so it may take some time to check.

Thanks all for weighing in. Help with the pics I posted and the comments have been very helpful. I see many posts recommending Andy at Simyamaha. I will be ordering parts from them.

Comment

This web site is a very good place to order parts and they host this forum.

All you do is click on the Red Purchase Yamaha Parts at the top of page to find you motor and all of the parts breakdowns for it.
            Then click on the parts you want to buy

Comment

Working...
            X