225 TXR vent side of VST dirty and clogged screen on HP pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 TXR vent side of VST dirty and clogged screen on HP pump

Got a pair of 225hp 4 stroke, 2006. Port engine is clean. Stb engine has had ongoing clogging of the screen on the pump inside the VST. White power like substance clogs the screen. I thought salt water was getting in there. The entire vent side hoses are full of crud are the pressure relieve valve looks like the insides have corroded from salt water. 2nd time I have to replace it. The vent hoses go to the top of the VST. Where they enter the tank, aluminum is corroding. Can anyone weigh in and tell me there experience?

Can there be issues with the F filter on the canister?

Salt water, oxygen, dissimilar metals all combine to form white corrosion powder like substance. Maybe some water in the fuel or boat is docked near or in salt water. Galvanic corrosion.. Zincs up to date ??

Comment

are you talking about the vent line that goes to the air box ?

Comment

Both vent lines that go to the air box and the line going to the relief valve that goes to the canister below the spark plugs. All kinds of crap in the hoses, looks like dried salt or oxidized aluminum. The relief valve is corroded. The orifice to the air box is corroded too.

Comment

image.jpg not sure if the pic will show up, but the 2 small vent inlets, on the inside of the VST is corroding. The rest of the VST looks almost perfect. Something is causing particles to drop into the VST and clog the screen on the HP fuel pump.

It's not the fuel tank. The 3 filters before the VST are not full of the whitish gray particles. The Port engine shows no sign of this in the VST or the vent hoses. Port engine relief valve and orifice is not corroded.

Comment

cant open the picture.
            there is only 1 vent line to the airbox.
            on later models there is also a charcoal canister and some even had a vapor shut off.
            what is the manufacture date ?

Comment

Let me see if I can do something with the pic

Comment

Rod bolt, it's a 2006 225TXR. 99Yam40, thanks for the help on the picture.

The oriface valve that plumbs into the air box is corroded. The relief valve on the vent side from the charcoal canister is corroded as well on this engine. My other engine has none of these issues.

By the way, I was the guy that wrote that post about salt water getting into my VST tank. That was almost a year ago that I wrote that. I know Rodbolt said that is impossible for that to happen, and he is right. However, this same problem of corrosion in the vent lines still exists. Somehow, particles are getting into the Vst. After burning 2 full tanks of fuel, I would have to pull the VST apart and clean the screen or else... I did this 7 times this summer. Each time, the screen was completely clogged and ready to run lean. Otherwise it would be a slow crawl home from the canyons 70 miles away.

Ps: my other engine NEVER had a single issue with fuel. Filters are clean on both engines. I'm perplexed and frustrated. Thanks for listening.

Comment

does this set up have separate water separator/filters for each motor coming from separate lines and pickup tubes in the same tank?
                  And did only one filter end up with some water in it from your other thread?.
                  Seems to me one tank with with 2 pickups and only one filter getting water would have to mean that one was picking up water out of same tank because of location or length of tube being different
                  If so what about swapping the lines on the pick up tubes to see if that changes which filter/motor gets the water.
                  But that would cause the other motor to have problems, which is not a good idea

Sorry about the old thread comment, I did not even notice you were the OP
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 01-21-2016, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    does this set up have separate water separator/filters for each motor coming from separate lines and pickup tubes in the same tank?
                    And did only one filter end up with some water in it from your other thread?.
                    Seems to me one tank with with 2 pickups and only one filter getting water would have to mean that one was picking up water out of same tank because of location or length of tube being different
                    If so what about swapping the lines on the pick up tubes to see if that changes which filter/motor gets the water.
                    But that would cause the other motor to have problems, which is not a good idea

Sorry about the old thread comment, I did not even notice you were the OP
                    Yes, separators for each engine. Pickup tubes are same length, both separators have same amount of water in them, maybe an ounce or 2 of water found.

Spoke to a mechanic cleaning my fuel injectors. The injectors where fine on the test. He suggested looking at the drains on the cowling to see if they are clogged. Maybe salt water is spilling on those relief valves and oriface, causing the corrosion. I will look and send pics if I see anything.

Comment

photo 1.JPGthis canister is full water.

photo 2.JPGwater was in the hose from the canister to this relief valve. Notice the corrosion on the outlet side of the valve.

photo 3.jpgthis brass outlet does get plumbed to the canister. That brass outlet is at or near the thermostat housing. Any guess on how the water would travel to the canister? The drain hose to the latch was not clogged.
                      Last edited by Phillyc1; 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Let me know if you see my pics and the text I wrote

Comment

I will try to make the pics where all can see better

Comment

Rodbolt or anyone have a chance to look at the pics above? I found salt water in the canister and the hose leading to the relief valve. I suspect the loop hose got water forced into the canister durning a few rough outings in high seas. I ***** a lot and the loop exits the port side of the starboard engine. That side of the boat gets hit with high waves.

My 2nd thought is this brass inlet in one of the pics. I think is attached to the intake manifold. How water could come from that inlet, I'm not sure. It's close to the thermostat housing but I don't think it's possible for water to leak. Plus, the inlet looks clean with no salt water stains.

Comment

I have spent the past 24 months reading everything Google could find re problems w/ early F225s - yours is, far and away, the most bizarre....

FWIW the "brass inlet" is the supply air to the ISC valve - it pulls air from behind a plastic cover behind the spark coils.

I "assume" that is how vapors trapped by the carbon canister are removed...

all this reminds me that I have long wondered, exactly what is the internal "plumbing" of the carbon canister (but not badly enough to cut mine apart....)

Comment

Working...
                              X