Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    freeking blowboater
    wind is free and everything else outta be.
    Yamaha, like most other brands, defines long term storage as any period of non use over 30 days.
    that's in your manual as well. read it.

running correctly 50/1 wont foul plugs any faster than 100/1.

biggest thing is MAINTAIN your rig or pay double.
    In my "downunder" two stroke manual it is not specified that storage is non use after three months. One refers only what to do after 12 months storage.
    And as far as internal engine maintenance for storage they only say add one teaspoon of two stroke oil down each spark plug hole!

Comment

And Bajakeith let's take the opportunity to rubbish sailboat people. When will you learn?

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
        In my "downunder" two stroke manual it is not specified that storage is non use after three months. One refers only what to do after 12 months storage.
        And as far as internal engine maintenance for storage they only say add one teaspoon of two stroke oil down each spark plug hole!
        That's fine for the top end (I use Seafoam). I make sure (single cylinders) there at TDC and/or on the compression stroke to have the valves closed)

BUT you still have lower unit bearings, seals etc, that that extra oil in the top end won't get to...

That's why the extra oil, 50/1 or even more (if put up for say winter in harsh conditions) would be used. More oil coating / protecting ALL the internals, (upper/lower rod bearings, main crank bearings, etc.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Townsend yes it would seem the Yamaha manual suggestion of one teaspoon down each plug hole is only to coat the bores ( although my manuals don't even say that the engine perhaps should be rotated a couple of times after doing so!)

Comment

Townsend yes it would seem the Yamaha manual suggestion of one teaspoon down each plug hole is only to coat the bores ( although my manuals don't even say that the engine perhaps should be rotated a couple of times after doing so!)
            Well, depending on how much a person takes care (or doesn't) their tools, vehicles, engines, etc would make a difference.

Just the basic knowledge to at least spin the over a couple of times to spread the oil and make sure you DON'T have a hydraulic lock is basic stuff that as you noted SHOULD BE IN THE MANUAL. Most folks won't eve read it. My step dad will leave fuel in all his machines and then I get to clean carbs later when they don't run. I think I've got him to at least dump the fuel back into the gas can.

I used my chain saw for a couple of hours last week (tornadoes down here, my parents lost some large tree's). It got ran hard, filthy, etc, but ran like a clock.

Once it got home it got half dis-assembled, cleaned, chain bar oil drained (later, ran dry of fuel, Seafoam in the cylinder). Overkill, maybe, but my machines last a long time and I can count on them...

My parents were on generator for about a day and a half from the tornado. Once they got power back, I drained the tank, ran it dry, and pulled the float bowl to get ALL the fuel out (no clogged main jet). Seafoam in the top end, rotated to TDC and put up for the next emergency...
            Scott

Comment

It's interesting about maintenance in regard to fuel systems and I conclude that what you do depends largely on the fuel quality. Down under we don't seem to have these problems.
              Many decades ago I was told to drain all fuel and did so. It was not until sometime later that I converted to the "don't touch unless there is a problem" phylosify . This was because carburetta seals and things dried out causing all sorts of problems, so I tend to leave things "wet". Have had little problems doing so for the last so many decades? Our fuel must last very well!
              Eg. My chainsaw has never had fuel cleaned out or the carny cleaned. I estimate 100 tons of wood has been cut over the last 25 years. Choke two pulls, a faart, push in choke, pull again , and it runs. Done this for thousands of pulls and start.

So at the risk of condemnation, my outboard never has the carnies drained. But three or four pumps of primar bulb, a couple of cranks, and wammo it fires, every time.
              Notwithstanding that carnies and fuel systems need cleaning after some time, it is surprising how infrequent I found that it was required. Last outboard carnies I cleaned because it ran badly was I think last century! And there were quite clean and made no difference because the fault was a weak coil.
              Yep criticise, but I let five years pass before I clean any of my outboard fuel system, simply not necessary because our fuel is so clean.
              The future with fuel and ethanol this may change.

Comment

Correction, my auto spell seems to write carnies for carburettors !

Comment

We have Ethonol fuel up to 10% in almost all our fuel, (except at the marina's).

The fuel literally will varnish up an aluminum float bowl in 1-2 months and clog the main jets if NOT treated. You can smell it go foul.

It also, (if the tank is full-on say a weed eater, chain saw, etc), will dry out fuel lines faster inside the tank.

I buy the small, yellow, fuel line by the roll, (good up to E15 fuel). The last order was about $100 for three rolls, but will last me a couple of years. The mower shops, charge BY the INCH for it...

Easily, 98% of my repairs are fuel line replacement / main jet clogged with varnish (besides crap built up inside the bowl).

Fixed a Honda E3000 generator (my parents neighbors) the day they had no electric. Varnished up bowl / inside body, clogged main jet. Pulled the main jet, I have super small jet "files" for really clogged jets. Re-assembled, started on the first pull!

That's why you'll read so many threads here on clogged carbs/ main and idle jets clogged, etc, at least in the states.

Even if run dry, a little bit of fuel will remain in the bowl and usually clog the jets. Using a VERY GOOD STABILIZER 100% of the time will prevent that little bit from causing issues. That or pull the float bowl drain bolts (especially if sitting for awhile) and drain that remaining little bit of fuel out.
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-18-2016, 08:16 AM.
                  Scott

Comment

The problem with ethanol has been amply covered on this forum. I feel sorry for you up over people.
                    But if this is so drastic, many cars must be affected causing extreme public outrage! Why does people power (your democracy) not work?

Comment

The problem with ethanol has been amply covered on this forum. I feel sorry for you up over people.
                      But if this is so drastic, many cars must be affected causing extreme public outrage! Why does people power (your democracy) not work?
                      Our politicians work for the lobbyists, not the people.

Once the politicians quit they go to work as lobbyists.

We dumb bastards here up over keep voting them into office.

I feel sorry also.

Comment

Zeno

My good friend,, I'm telling a fact (like Rodbolt) about MOST sail boat folk's...Plain and simple...LooK when you have two older guys in the biz saying the same thing,, maybe there is some truth to the issue..I as a real captian and boater prefer a power boat and am not ragging on/about sail boats..But, it is a fact in my line of work that sail boat owners don't take care of their propulsion and electrical systems...I am/was agreeing with Sir Roldbolt and will stand by my remarks,, as truthful and not attacking.....G'Day

Comment

Ditto on the comment about the blow boaters.

They have a sense of entitlement to free stuff. They will buy three bucks of diesel (while bitching about the price) and then expect free tie down for several weeks, hundreds of pounds of free ice, use of a courtesy car for a long period of time devoted to their exclusive use, free use of a washing machine and dryer, free Wifi, etc., etc. Oh, and how about repairing my Yamaha kicker motor for free under warranty, even if it is years and years old but because it has low time on it? And when they sail away they will do so with a sense of superiority over stinkpot boaters who are seen as contaminating the earth.

Comment

If we here "up over" have to add oil down each spark plug hole it would seem to me that you folks "down under" would have to add oil up each spark plug hole.

By the way, the latest 8 HP owner's manual here "up over" does not address adding oil to a cylinder. It says if the motor is going to be stored for a prolonged period of time (two months or longer) to spray fogging compound into the carburetor or into a fogging oil on the intake silencer.

How would adding oil to the combustion chamber lubricate the innards of a two stroke motor anyway?

Comment

Well it seems you up over people not only have massive problems with ethanol but also with your sailing buddies!
                              The OP didn't needed to be tarred with that generalised brush.
                              He after all probably is prepared to pay extra for that oil using 50:1 instead of at 100:1!

Comment

Actually, from what I understand, it costs MORE to make ethanol than regular fuel.

Its just that their using corn which we have plenty of...

Most cars nowadays are designed to run on it. It doesn't produce as much power as regular, non-ethanol, as noted above, its our politicians screwing things up.. Seems everyday, it gets worse... Hopefully things WILL CHANGE for the good come election day 2016..

BTW, not all here are so rough on "blow boaters". Free speech, etc, but he did get his answer, which is the bottom line...
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X