No announcement yet.

Propeller Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and now you have learned some fairly expensive lessons.
    NEVER assume anything and NEVER leave an outboard trimmed(or a stern drive either) for long term storage where freezing temps are possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Well I guess the frozen water did not have to be inside the oil cavity to push this out, just behind the carrier.
      That area should all be open for exhaust gases to exit thru the prop...

There is a fair amount of corrosion on the one pic. As noted previously, did that securing ring corrode away a bit, or the threads/case fail (as in my suzuki LU thread) allowing the prop shaft to come out..
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-30-2015, 07:20 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        That area should all be open for exhaust gases to exit thru the prop...

There is a fair amount of corrosion on the one pic. As noted previously, did that securing ring corrode away a bit, or the threads/case fail (as in my suzuki LU thread) allowing the prop shaft to come out..
        But when the water freezes it is a solid that will not flow out like a gas or liquid.
        You have to wonder what the housing damage is.

Comment

Imagine shifting hard into reverse and suddenly the motor races. Motor is trimmed up to find the propeller, shaft, bearing carrier and gears all gone.

One might have thought the shift mechanism (plus other stuff) would have prevented that but...

Meanwhile, there is nothing in the world that the guy down the street can do to get the bearing carrier out of his lower unit.

Comment

my guess if you could manage to actually shift it that hard,the drive shaft would snap or the pinion would shatter.

had a cust some years back with a 27' rinker twin MPI 5.7 with bravo III drives.
            cruising along about 3800 RPM his 6 yr old fell off the bow.
            he panicked and grabbed 1 throttle and 1 shifter.
            somehow he managed to yank the stbd drive from fwd to rev and the unit did it.

it locked the shift cone into the REV gear and twisted the low drive shaft splines.
            no other damage and the unit is still in service.

I did not think it was physically possible to shift a bravo out of gear much above about 1500 RPM.

as many of the 9.9 jonny/rudes that I struggled with to get the carrier out,when mine froze it slid the guts right out.

Comment

Rodbolt, you chuckle me with some of your posts.

Reminds me of the old angineer I worked with many years ago. Ask him a question such as "what is the color of the landing gear" and next thing you know you would be hearing about metallurgy, chrome plating and ladder cracks, O rings, static fatigue tests, structural drop tests, bearing construction, type of hydraulic fluid, fluid flow, etc., etc.

What does you wife have to say about this?

Comment

what with my wifes technical ability coupled with a fear of reading any thing technical(operating instructions on her hair flat iron included) I don't have to worry.
                she doesn't know a gearcase from a control box.

it also means she has no clue of what the difference is in a K98,m93,m96,mas-36,m1,24/47,m78 vetterli or some of the various other toys. she wont even notice the 16 ga GEHA I got for an xmas present to me .

but let me spill 1 drop of coffee on the floor .

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Imagine shifting hard into reverse and suddenly the motor races. Motor is trimmed up to find the propeller, shaft, bearing carrier and gears all gone.

One might have thought the shift mechanism (plus other stuff) would have prevented that but...

Meanwhile, there is nothing in the world that the guy down the street can do to get the bearing carrier out of his lower unit.
                  A year or two back I was launching my boat while a man and his wife were pulling up the the ramp on the other side running a *****ing motor.
                  I asked it he had some trouble and he said he lost his prop on his main motor( a Mercury outboard)
                  I looked at the lower unit with it tilted up and prop shaft and all was gone
                  Never dreamed that could happen, but I guess anything is possible

Comment

There is quite a but of corrosion on the nut and I'm hoping that is what gave way. I plan to go to the storage place to check out the housing to see if it ruined anything there. I definitely have learned to never leave trimmed up when the forecast is freezing. Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      I looked at the lower unit with it tilted up and prop shaft and all was gone
                      Already heard (never seen by me) a couple of stories that happening that with the Honda BF50

Here that Honda LU´s are known as being problematic.

Bad maintenance!? IDK

In my area have lots of shallow´s

Comment

I didn't see anything broken when I pulled it out. I haven't gone to the storage unit to look at the threads. The nut is not broken or cracked from what I can tell but there is a lot of corrosion. I'll post when I look at the casing.

Comment

Working...
                        X