Propeller Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Shaft

I have a 2004 F90. The boat is currently stored in cold storage after being winterized by my local boat mechanic. I was recently checking the boat and noticed that the prop looked crooked. When I pulled out the whole assembly pulled out. When I look in where it came out I can see the gears but no broken parts. Any idea what gave way or broke?

Pics would help see what came apart.
    Prop with prop shaft should not come out by pulling with just your hand. people pay good money to have them removed because it is a pain to get out.

The big ring nut is a gig pain to remove sometimes along with the carrier if corrosion has set in. And I believe the shift shaft needs to be pulled before the prop shaft and carrier is pulled

Comment

I had a skeg get bent while my old Evinrude was at the shop on the trailer many moons ago. Of course everyone denied everything...It was quite obvious it caught something while being moved about on the trailer.

I seriously doubt you pulling on it, damaged it, it was likely done before that..

But as noted above, post some pic's, should be obvious what happened...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Assuming it was O.K. When put in storage, then they did it!...dropped it or hit it with something....as mentioned, it would take a powerful hit to break that bearing carrier clean out of the lower unit...they owe you a repair. I've heard of damages and thefts in dry storage facilities...

Comment

its always the infernal mokaniks fault.
          and the motor always ran well before that infernal mokanik touched it caused you dropped it off to said infernal mokanik running well with no issues you simply had a wallet full o cash and decided the mokanick needed a bit.

that's the story I get with every work order for a "100 hr service".

folks 10 100 hr services don't make the 1000 hr service.
          5 100 hr services don't make 1 500 hr service.

but if you have a running issue, no way in ell a 100 hr service is going to correct it.
          please tell the tech you have a running issue,not just install plugs and change fluids.

Comment

Rod he is saying his prop and propshaft came out when he pulled on it by hand.

water in the gear case instead of oil and freezing temps are my guess to push it apart.

Or maybe someone swapped lower units

Comment

I had a 9.9 jonny/rude some years back that did the freeze thing and broke the bearing carrier and shoved the carrier and shaft out of the gearcase.

Comment

If it was winterized, wouldn't they have changed out the Lower Unit oil, thus NO water to freeze??
                Scott

Comment

winterizing,like rebuilding, has many meanings to different folks.

Comment

Guess it would take a lot(mostly) water with maybe a little oil in the lower unit for it to freeze enough to bust out the carrier? If there was that much water laying in there over the winter, even if it didn't freeze, seems like the corrosion alone would toast the lower gears/bearings?...who puts a motor up for the winter without changing the lower unit oil?...maybe lots of folks?...

Comment

it would be interesting to see pics of this unit that came apart and find out what happened to it

Comment

Pictures

Here are the pictures of what came out. The lower unit oil was not changed due to it being changed less than 20 hours before. When the boat came back from the mechanic I am positive it was not loose at that time. I had it trimmed up when I put it in storage but forgot to lower it. That is the main reason I went back, to lower it. I am now wondering if there was water that froze in there.
                        Attached Files

Comment

W o w, that's certainly not the kind of "surprise" one looks forward to getting - sorry to see that.

(For some reason, the forum replaced the word w-o-w with ***, so I had to add the spaces)

You mentioned "20 hours ago" - I know this is hindsight, but did you at least check the gear oil for water? For what it's worth, I always change my gear oil yearly, regardless if it hadn't been used much. Partly because there will still be some contaminants in there and also to check for issues. For the $20, once per year, it's good insurance.

I do hope you get this sorted out easily!
                          Last edited by DennisG01; 12-29-2015, 04:17 PM.
                          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Hows the threads look in the lower unit itself (towards the end of the housing).

Wish the prop was off and see how well that big retainer nut fits (or if its cracked, etc)
                            Scott

Comment

Well I guess the frozen water did not have to be inside the oil cavity to push this out, just behind the carrier.
                              Need to inspect the case to see what all happened to it. Not sure what damage would occur to shift shaft, case, or other parts when it was pushed out

Comment

Working...
                              X