Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a bit late responding.
    Down under is what USA calls Australia.
    As far as I know there is no corresponding reference to northern hemisphere countries.
    When I make remarks about language I find it interesting how particular some USA forum members are about terminology as if the language belongs to you.

It becomes particularly amusing as Yamahas are Japanese (not American made) and presumably we should be using their language on their equipment. And I presume technically or strictly it is not the Japanese providing the translations.
    !

Comment

Most people would agree that a switch has an on and off position and a temporary on to turn on starter motor.

Yamahas first position is everything off and the second position is everything on which includes all the accessories that Yamaha provides. It does not turn the ignition.

Cape Canaveral refers to ignition on is when the rocket engines are actually running. So is ignition on after An outboard engine is started!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
        Most people would agree that a switch has an on and off position and a temporary on to turn on starter motor.

Yamahas first position is everything off and the second position is everything on which includes all the accessories that Yamaha provides. It does not turn the ignition.

Cape Canaveral refers to ignition on is when the rocket engines are actually running. So is ignition on after An outboard engine is started!
        To me a switch is open or it is closed. A lamp/device/load is on or off.

The Yamaha switch being open results in the ignition system not receiving electrical power which results in the system being off. The switch being closed results in the ignition system receiving electrical power which results in the system being on.

Cape Canaveral referring to ignition relates to the rocket propellant being ignited. Once ignited it burns for a relatively long period of time. Hopefully anyway. It only gets ignited once. Once an outboard motor is started the ignition system stays on but ignition of the air/fuel mix occurs once every other stroke.

Yamaha is Japanese as you note. When their language is translated to "our" language (yours and mine) it just comes out funny some times. Calling battery cables a wire harness strikes me as peculiar but if I stop and think about it, it really is not. Isn't a harness just two or more wires? Or is it a loom?

Is it a spanner or a wrench? Is it a fender or is it a wing? Is is a trunk or is it a boot? Is it a hood or is it a bonnet? An airport or an aerodrome? Does an air plane land or does it alight?

Maybe we are not the best speakers of the English language up over but at least we know to drive on the right (correct) side of the road!

99 times out of a hundred I think most any of us can figure out what someone is trying to say. It is the 1% that is the problem. If a guy says his motor won't crank I would guess that the majority of trained mechanics would consider that to be a starter motor issue. But the guy using the word is really trying to figure out why the motor won't start. It cranks just fine.

I like your funny way of speaking Zeno. Keep it up. It gives me a chuckle. I watch a British television show about fixing up cars. I have learned lots of new terms. It was a bit fiddly but I got the job done. I am well chuffed. Bloody hell that mate. Have a cup of tea.

Comment

all the way up till the Polish students that lived with me a few years back talked about changing the candles.

that's what they called sparkplugs.

however they did teach me how to drink Iced vodka from a test tube looking thingy .

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            all the way up till the Polish students that lived with me a few years back talked about changing the candles.

that's what they called sparkplugs.

however they did teach me how to drink Iced vodka from a test tube looking thingy .
            Yes "candles" is the word for spark plugs in Europe. Arguably the best car manufacturers, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Porsche etc etc use that word!

You are learning that English is actually made up from many languages, so there tends to be multiple words for the same thing. Funny how Americans have distorted the "queens" English, must have been as a result of that war of independence!

Comment

Boscoe familiar with all your simillies except " plane alight is a bit off" the passengers alight!
              If you are left handed driving on the right side is OK.
              We drive on the left because most are right handed. Accuracy is greater with your right hand, to throw out rubbish, hurl out a bottle at on coming traffic etc.
              Or to engage your enemy with your sword - because that where driving (riding) on the LHS came from!
              On spark plugs again, why do we need to plug a spark or make a plug spark. You describe it a some sort of plug, rod bolts polished mates describe it more in tune with fire.
              It depends entirely on whether you describe by what it primarily or secondarily does or whether you emphasise the action or verb part of the thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                Boscoe familiar with all your simillies except " plane alight is a bit off" the passengers alight!
                If you are left handed driving on the right side is OK.
                We drive on the left because most are right handed. Accuracy is greater with your right hand, to throw out rubbish, hurl out a bottle at on coming traffic etc.
                Or to engage your enemy with your sword - because that where driving (riding) on the LHS came from!
                On spark plugs again, why do we need to plug a spark or make a plug spark. You describe it a some sort of plug, rod bolts polished mates describe it more in tune with fire.
                It depends entirely on whether you describe by what it primarily or secondarily does or whether you emphasise the action or verb part of the thingy.
                a·light 1 (ə-līt′)
                intr.v. a·light·ed or a·lit (ə-lĭt′), a·light·ing, a·lights
                1. To come down and settle, as after flight: "A swarm of black birds flew across the road and alighted in a pecan tree" (Ernest J. Gaines).
                2. To get down, as from a vehicle; dismount: The queen alighted from the carriage.
                3. To come by chance: alight on a happy solution.

alighting gear or landing gear
                Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
                undercarriage
                That part of an airplane intended for its support on land or water and to absorb the shock on landing. Also called alighting gear or landing gear

I have not been alight but I have been lit a time or too. If you get my drift.

I come from the land up over.
                You better run, you better take cover.

Aren't these guys from DOWN your way? They are not from UP here.

Regarding thingy, I am not going there. You keep your hands on your thingy and I will keep my hands on my thingy. And by the way, since it is my thingy I can wash it as fast and as often as I want to.

Comment

I worked in aviation and never ever heard alighting gear as landing gear. I can only imagine that it has something to do with helping people off the plane. Hence never heard of alighting as landing!
                  Fancy that!
                  Your English is very good, and you obviously take greater care than I when you write. I have difficulty posting, using only my IPhone where you loose the text the more you write.
                  The connotation of a loom to me is a bunch of wires. A harness goes from one place to another, harnessing the "energy" elsewhere.

Comment

Forever on the lookout for early onset of dementia, I had to take a second look at Boscoes first definition (alighting same as landing).
                    My old Oxford dictionary seems to confirm that sort of definition, but the newer Macquarie dictionary has omitted it.
                    So I looked up my old Visual Flight Guide (for pilots), it makes scant reference, and from my interpretation it refers to comming and going of people and perhaps cargo etc.
                    It is very clear about landing, (area). Maybe it was a term that dissappated long ago.
                    So the words used need to accord with all aviation because English and French are the official languages. I also did a lot of reading of your Federal Aviation Authority material as I was a servant in the Aust equivalent authority.
                    So alight is a rare use in my aviation world.
                    BTW I did not have a pilots license (did issue a few though) .
                    Ofcourse the distinction between aerodrome vs airport is that aerodrome is just all the areas used by aircraft. Airport is with all the other buildings etc.

Comment

Zeno, I would expect that by now, given the passage of time and distance, the Aussie's are speaking as differently from the Brit's as us Yanks speak differently from the Brits. We all came from the same source but diverged as time went by.

Alighting gear as I learned it was from a Brit, not an Aussie.

I like the way you guys say things like 18. Not eight teeen but rather it sounds to me like ateeen.

And you guys are mates, not blokes, correct?

Do you know a Mr. Al Zimer? He visits me from time to time. Wish he would stay away.

Comment

"Be a good jolly old chap and lower the alighting gear" sounds Pommy to me.
                        Mateship or mates I think came about or to prominence during the First World War, had nothing to do with a partner for procreation. I do realise some people take offence when an Aussie says "G'die Mate" to a stranger.
                        But there are also plenty of "good ol Aussie Blokes" out there.
                        We of course watch a lot of American television and ****** but rarely notice American accents in them, but when American actors are interviewed they sound quite strong- strange phenonium.

Comment

well
                          I am really really gonna offend everyone.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            well
                            I am really really gonna offend everyone.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
                            Political correctness has gone mad over here.
                            We hear to tone down Xmas to not offend our Muslim friends!
                            Merry Xmas

Comment

Lol,,,lol !!

Happy Xmas and stop the muslum imports for gods sakes!! NOT MY PROBLEM except for what used to be my GOV messing around !!

Comment

Working...
                              X