Ignition Buzz '98 115hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Buzz '98 115hp 2 stroke

Anyone know IF and/or WHEN the ignition buzzer should alarm? Occasionally the buzzer will alarm for a second or two once the engine starts. When this occurs, the arrows over each symbol (see pic below) blink. Then the buzzer turns off and the green arrow remains solid, per usual. My concern is the inconsistency. Should it be doing this every time? Or should it not happen at all? The buzzer does NOT alarm and has never while running in gear. Thanks

Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

it should not buzz at all.
    unless there is a fault.
    single engine Yamaha does not self test the buzzer at key on.

Comment

What you are hearing/seeing should not be heard/seen. It is indicative to me of a momentary low voltage issue.

Check your battery cables for cleanliness and tightness at both ends. Check any other cables that may run from the battery posts on the motor to wherever they may go. Check all ground connections. Green scotchbrite works well to clean terminals and their attach points.

Maybe perform a voltage drop test on the battery cables as you cannot see inside of them.

Check your fuses for cleanliness and tightness.

Has the battery been loaded tested to ensure that it is up to snuff? How old is the battery?

Comment

All good suggestions thanks guys. Unsure of battery age. It came with the boat/motor I recently purchased. According to the owners manual, when the engine is first turned on ALL indicators on the gauge activate as a system check then turn deactivate if normal. Ive never received bad advice from either boscoe99 or rodbolt17...you guys are always right on. But from what both of you are saying versus the manual Im confused. But perhaps i didnt describe what's happening accurately. Let me ask this...there are 3 key ignition positions: OFF, ACC ON, ON. Just like an automobile ignition. If the ignition buzzes with the key in the ACC ON position (engine off), what does this imply? And as I mentioned in my last, 90% of the time it doesnt buzz after engine starts, but when it does it stops 2-3 seconds after ignition.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        What you are hearing/seeing should not be heard/seen. It is indicative to me of a momentary low voltage issue.

Check your battery cables for cleanliness and tightness at both ends. Check any other cables that may run from the battery posts on the motor to wherever they may go. Check all ground connections. Green scotchbrite works well to clean terminals and their attach points.

Maybe perform a voltage drop test on the battery cables as you cannot see inside of them.

Check your fuses for cleanliness and tightness.

Has the battery been loaded tested to ensure that it is up to snuff? How old is the battery?
        Jason

Comment

In a Yamaha key switch the positions are OFF, ON, START.

Off, no power to anything and a white wire is grounded to stop the motor from running.

On, 12 volts are provided through the key switch to the gauges and back to the motor.

Start, 12 volts are provided through the key switch to the gauges and back to the motor. Via another wire 12 volts are provided to the starter motor.

No Yams that I am aware of will buzz with just the key on. Unless there is a fault of some kind. If the kill switch is activated for example and the motor is cranked (key turned to the start position) the motor senses a fault and turns on the buzzer. The buzzer sounds until the key is turned to the off position.

Strange buzzer sounds and lights lighting up on a Yamaha multi-function tachometer can be an indication of a voltage supply issue. Here is some verbiage straight out of a Yamaha document.

"The loosen battery warning activates when the CDI does not sense the presence of a battery in the circuit. This may be caused by a loose battery terminal on the battery or engine or a loose fuse causing a momentary break in the power supply. If this happens, the warning buzzer will sound and engine speed will reduce to about 2000 rpm. All three oil lights will flash."

Now think about what happens during and right after an engine start. The battery provides a great deal of electrical power. The voltage drops. If the voltage drops excessively the engine sees this. Now once the engine's generator starts doing its magic it brings the voltage back up. Maybe to the point that the engine now thinks that all is well and stops the buzzer and the lights. Might be the reason for what you are hearing and seeing. I don't know for sure from a distance.

Comment

Good stuff boscoe as always. Appreciate you taking the time to break it down. I did a voltage test on the battery, 12.86. Just got in from taking boat out and not once did it buzz, not even in ON position. My logic after reading your thorough explanation is when it does buzz a voltage leak is occurring somewhere...and that's where the pain in the ass work comes in. lol.

In a Yamaha key switch the positions are OFF, ON, START.

Off, no power to anything and a white wire is grounded to stop the motor from running.

On, 12 volts are provided through the key switch to the gauges and back to the motor.

Start, 12 volts are provided through the key switch to the gauges and back to the motor. Via another wire 12 volts are provided to the starter motor.

No Yams that I am aware of will buzz with just the key on. Unless there is a fault of some kind. If the kill switch is activated for example and the motor is cranked (key turned to the start position) the motor senses a fault and turns on the buzzer. The buzzer sounds until the key is turned to the off position.

Strange buzzer sounds and lights lighting up on a Yamaha multi-function tachometer can be an indication of a voltage supply issue. Here is some verbiage straight out of a Yamaha document.

"The loosen battery warning activates when the CDI does not sense the presence of a battery in the circuit. This may be caused by a loose battery terminal on the battery or engine or a loose fuse causing a momentary break in the power supply. If this happens, the warning buzzer will sound and engine speed will reduce to about 2000 rpm. All three oil lights will flash."

Now think about what happens during and right after an engine start. The battery provides a great deal of electrical power. The voltage drops. If the voltage drops excessively the engine sees this. Now once the engine's generator starts doing its magic it brings the voltage back up. Maybe to the point that the engine now thinks that all is well and stops the buzzer and the lights. Might be the reason for what you are hearing and seeing. I don't know for sure from a distance.
            Jason

Comment

GRrrr

Its not just like a auto ignition switch...............I Give up..."uncle"............... PS...maybe some wanna bee shade tree yahoo, DID replace it with a Worst Marine ignition switch...like for a I/O or Inboard,,, Not a Mag or stator to ground MARINE switch.....Off,,,on,,, crank,, is a OB switch !! no acc ever !! Yahoos thinking to save a buck,, go to autozone,,worst marine or billy bob at the local marina boat shop and get lead down the line...old story in my line of work...I replaced this,this and this......Hey,,, I have a big drill and channel locks, ya need any dental work ??
              Last edited by bajakeith; 12-12-2015, 12:50 AM. Reason: tired

Comment

not all yamaha's sound a buzzer when cranking with the stop lanyard removed.

not all yamaha's sound a buzzer for low voltage.

no single engine Yamaha self tests the buzzer at key on.
                all the 6y5 series tachs self test the visual indicates at key on.

in your case buy a service manual.
                look at the wiring diagram.

IF and ONLY if the brown start relay wire splits off and goes to the CDI will you ever have an alarm when cranking with the lanyard removed or the white wire shorted to ground.

if and ONLY if the yellow key on 12V+ goes to the CDI will you ever get a low voltage alarm.

yes Virginia, its that simple.
                all you have to do is look.

remember the tach visual self test?
                it ONLY occurs at key on.
                if it occurs AFTER cranking guess what?
                the tach saw a low voltage condition,the tach "thought" the key had been cycled and self tested again.

simple stuff ehhh?

Comment

Quantum physics and the theory of relativity are simple when known and understood. Too bad I don't get it.

Now when it comes to the brown wire to the CDI and the yellow wire to the CDI resulting in the warning horn sounding when the key is turned to the start position with the kill switch activated I will be willing to bet that there is nowhere in any Yamaha documentation where this is stated.

This is why you are here Mr. Rodbolt. Once you have explained the system to us, and we have a chance to digest the information, it will be crystal clear.

Yamaha 115 two stroke.

Brown wire to CDI, check.
                  Yellow wire to CDI, check.

Comment

"ACC ON" was merely an anecdotal means to describe the yamaha ignition key position in comparison to that of an automobile. Accessories are on, motor is not. Some of us amateurs will occasionally use the wrong verbage. When you come across this, do what rodbolt and boscoe do....roll with it. No reason to give up bajakeith. Hang in there bud.

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                    Its not just like a auto ignition switch...............I Give up..."uncle"............... PS...maybe some wanna bee shade tree yahoo, DID replace it with a Worst Marine ignition switch...like for a I/O or Inboard,,, Not a Mag or stator to ground MARINE switch.....Off,,,on,,, crank,, is a OB switch !! no acc ever !! Yahoos thinking to save a buck,, go to autozone,,worst marine or billy bob at the local marina boat shop and get lead down the line...old story in my line of work...I replaced this,this and this......Hey,,, I have a big drill and channel locks, ya need any dental work ??
                    Jason

Comment

Agreed. Some of the participants here are truly invaluable, rodbolt and you included. To be able to apply your instructions to task with a positive outcome is a wonderful feeling.

Quantum physics and the theory of relativity are simple when known and understood. Too bad I don't get it.

Now when it comes to the brown wire to the CDI and the yellow wire to the CDI resulting in the warning horn sounding when the key is turned to the start position with the kill switch activated I will be willing to bet that there is nowhere in any Yamaha documentation where this is stated.

This is why you are here Mr. Rodbolt. Once you have explained the system to us, and we have a chance to digest the information, it will be crystal clear.

Yamaha 115 two stroke.

Brown wire to CDI, check.
                      Yellow wire to CDI, check.
                      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                        "ACC ON" was merely an anecdotal means to describe the yamaha ignition key position in comparison to that of an automobile. Accessories are on, motor is not. Some of us amateurs will occasionally use the wrong verbage. When you come across this, do what rodbolt and boscoe do....roll with it. No reason to give up bajakeith. Hang in there bud.
                        It's a pity there is no labelling on the key positions, so it really a matter of personal preference what we call them. Jason2pa I understood what you meant, even coming from down under.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                          It's a pity there is no labelling on the key positions, so it really a matter of personal preference what we call them. Jason2pa I understood what you meant, even coming from down under.
                          If you are from down under are we from up over?

Just wondering.

Comment

Thanks Zeno.... Coming from you thats big cause yall speak a whole other language LOL.

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                            Jason

Comment

Jason

the proper way would be KO EO as in key on engine off ..if you DO have a four position switch,, that would be a issue.. also nothing EVER should be tapped into the ign. control wireing for say a light,fishfinder,radio.. all that must run on its own fused system...which btw is done wrong many times at the factory including grady's..folks forget..the boat manufacture's are fiberglass guy's not electrical and proplusion experts...G'day

Comment

Working...
                              X