Somebody splain gear ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody splain gear ratios

In reference to lower units. Say a gear is 2:1 versus 1.75:1. I was thinking 2:1 was 1 turn of crank for 2 turns of prop shaft. Is that correct or ass backwards?

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    In reference to lower units. Say a gear is 2:1 versus 1.75:1. I was thinking 2:1 was 1 turn of crank for 2 turns of prop shaft. Is that correct or ass backwards?
    It's the ratio of enginerop. Same basic idea as found in truck rear ends.

Edit: I don't know where that smile thing came from... was supposed to be engine "colon" prop
    Last edited by DennisG01; 10-27-2023, 10:52 PM.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Bass ackwards.

Two turns of the crank shaft equals one turn of the propeller shaft. Or 1.75 turns of the crank shaft equals one turn of the propeller shaft.

Holds true for cars/ trucks unless they are in over drive. In which case the crank shaft turns slower.

No outboard motor uses an overdrive configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Bass ackwards.

Two turns of the crank shaft equals one turn of the propeller shaft. Or 1.75 turns of the crank shaft equals one turn of the propeller shaft.

Holds true for cars/ trucks unless they are in over drive. In which case the crank shaft turns slower.

No outboard motor uses an overdrive configuration.
        Interesting. Always figgered those prop shafts spun faster than motor.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Interesting. Always figgered those prop shafts spun faster than motor.
          got to get the torque up to get the prop the power to turn down in the water

Comment

And there are other reasons why it is advantageous for a propeller to slower rather than faster.

Comment

Working...
            X