Tried all resources but come up blanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    Iwould start by taking a wire and grounding one end of it to the engine block and then hooking the other end to the white wire at the CDI to see if that kills the spark to the plugs.
    if it does kill the spark, find the bad connection or wire that is keeping the key and kill switchs from making the ground connection
    so you did not read this post?

Comment

so you did not read this post?
      I didn't understand and don't know what the CDI is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera61 View Post

I didn't understand and don't know what the CDI is.
        It is the electronic brains of the
        Capacitance Discharge Ignition system.
        it controls the spark and timing.
        if you are not capable of working on your motor you will need to take it to someone that is.

Comment

It is the electronic brains of the
          Capacitance Discharge Ignition system.
          it controls the spark and timing.
          if you are not capable of working on your motor you will need to take it to someone that is.
          1. I honestly appreciate your assistance in fixing this mess. You took value time from your schedule to respond and you don't know me from Adam. I do thank you for that.

2. I did look up CDI after you wrote about it. I understand what the words mean but in practice, it's was word salad to me.

3. I'm attempting this repair because I want to learn how my outboard works. Honestly, I was about 4 seconds scrapping it and just buying a new outboard but what was that going to prove?
          1. I've changed the oil.
          2. Changed the lower unit oil.
          3. Replaced the cable system for throttle and shifting.
          4. Changed the spark plugs twice.
          5. Done some electrical and wiring.
          6. Repaired trailer parts.

4. I'm a stroke survivor and it helps keep my mind occupied and moving.

5. I enjoy it.

6. I also made a mistake in my description of my problem. My ignition key will start the outboard but the key will NOT shut it off. The kill switch does not stop the outboard. Only yanking out the sparkplugs stop it. Does that provide a clearer picture to the problem and how to resolve it?

Thank you

Comment

as was said already, you need to find out where the problem is .
            the key switch and kill switch ground the white wire to the CDI to kill the spark.
            you or someone else needs to figure out if it is a wiring ,connection , or a CDI internal problem.
            this is why we told you to ground the white wire at the CDI

Comment

as was said already, you need to find out where the problem is .
              the key switch and kill switch ground the white wire to the CDI to kill the spark.
              you or someone else needs to figure out if it is a wiring ,connection , or a CDI internal problem.
              this is why we told you to ground the white wire at the CDI
              I took some time to look into the CDI and what it does. I think one of my pluses is "I know what I don't know.".
              I contacted a repair facility and I'm bringing it in. I think I found the CDI unit in the front of the outboard, a small rectangular box?
              I'll let you know how it goes and if the mechanic showed me what was done.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera61 View Post

1. I honestly appreciate your assistance in fixing this mess. You took value time from your schedule to respond and you don't know me from Adam. I do thank you for that.

2. I did look up CDI after you wrote about it. I understand what the words mean but in practice, it's was word salad to me.

3. I'm attempting this repair because I want to learn how my outboard works. Honestly, I was about 4 seconds scrapping it and just buying a new outboard but what was that going to prove?
                1. I've changed the oil.
                2. Changed the lower unit oil.
                3. Replaced the cable system for throttle and shifting.
                4. Changed the spark plugs twice.
                5. Done some electrical and wiring.
                6. Repaired trailer parts.

4. I'm a stroke survivor and it helps keep my mind occupied and moving.

5. I enjoy it.

6. I also made a mistake in my description of my problem. My ignition key will start the outboard but the key will NOT shut it off. The kill switch does not stop the outboard. Only yanking out the sparkplugs stop it. Does that provide a clearer picture to the problem and how to resolve it?

Thank you
                Although I didn't help you on this post as the other members had it in hand, I applaud your efforts in trying to do the work yourself. It is a steep learning curve if you have not done things like this much.

We all still have stuff to learn every day. There countless times I have had to bring things to other people to fix who had more knowledge then me..lol

Take care of yourself and report back what was found.

Panasonic

Comment

Working...
                X