Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cy8 gauge info

Gidday everyone
    just purchased a second hand boat with a 115 Saltwater 2 stroke outboard.
    Everything runs gr8 except I have no display on the speed gauge.
    Does anyone have the wiring requirements for the two cy8 gauges also should I have a buzzer with key on engine off, I don't
    Thanks in advance
    Peter

lets hope you know what motor you have, cause we sure do not.

Comment

Are you sure about it being a cy8 gauge? Have not heard of that one.

Does it look like the one depicted below?

Single engine Yams don't beep at key on.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        lets hope you know what motor you have, cause we sure do not.
        It never ends. Folks just don't want to tell anyone their motor model. Seems to be top secret information to them.

Comment

Does the back of your gauge have a rubber hose (about 1/4") attached to a nipple?
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

What is this attack the newly approach, what more can I say to identify the engine than a yamaha 115hp two stroke 4 cylinder outboard. The gauge boscoe shown is the same thanks, as a newly I googled and got the cy8 description.
            yes Dennisg01 it has a rubber hose connected
            Apologies for not having the in-depth knowledge you guys expect

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Andrews 2 View Post
              What is this attack the newly approach, what more can I say to identify the engine than a yamaha 115hp two stroke 4 cylinder outboard. The gauge boscoe shown is the same thanks, as a newly I googled and got the cy8 description.
              There is an actual model number associated with your engine. For example, mine is SX250TXRY. Sometimes, it makes a difference regarding the parts used on your engine (can sometimes change vs another 115HP 2-stroke) and it does help others to be more efficient in getting answers for you. It helps not only you - but it helps the others in that they won't use as much of their free time to help you.

It might not be a bad idea to have some sort of "Hey, you need to do this" thing when someone signs up on this forum that they HAVE to create a signature (see mine). Or something to that effect, anyways.

With a rubber hose... it's "usually" a clog somewhere. If you don't know this already, there is a pitot hole on the leading edge of your lower unit - just above the gearcase. That tiny hole eventually connects to a rubber hose that goes all the way to the gauge. Water comes into that hole and compresses the air inside the tube - that "air pressure" turns into the speed readout.

Check the pitot hole with a tiny drill bit - ream it out. Find the connection further up inside the engine cowling - disconnect and see if it's clear to there. You can use some air pressure at this connection (just need a few PSI... even by mouth will work) to see if the gauge works - which will tell you that from this connection forward is good.

But... chances are pretty good that it's clogged really good

A break/hole in the rubber hose somewhere is another possible problem.

Comment

you say " I have no display on the speed gauge"
                does that mean the gauge is completely blank?
                or maybe reading 000 MPH

did you notice in the pic Boscoe posted the gauge is a 6y8

see if you can find you motor here and let us know.
                Yamaha - Outboard OEM Parts | Boats.net

Comment

did you notice in the pic Boscoe posted the gauge is a 6y8
                  There's a pic in his post? Well, I guess there is because you're referencing it Don't know why it's not showing up for me - they usually do.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

There's a pic in his post? Well, I guess there is because you're referencing it Don't know why it's not showing up for me - they usually do.
                    yep post #3 has a pic

Comment

yep post #3 has a pic
                      Must be something with my computer or wifi. Thanks. It's strange 'cause usually I don't have this issue.

Comment

There is no attack on you personally. We just get frustrated when folks needing help don't give us the information that is needed to offer the help.

Think about it from out perspective. Yamaha has offered a 115 HP two stroke model here in the USA since 1984. Plain 115 models. B115 models. C115 models. P115 models. They are not all the same. We have no idea what you have.

The 6 repeat 6 6Y8 gauge is a digital gauge. Six as in the number 6. Not the letter C.

To my knowledge, the only motors that will work with the 6Y8 digital gauges are the EFI four strokes and HPDI two strokes that were offered here in the US from 2006 and later. I have never come across a carbureted two stroke that will work with the Yamaha 6Y8 digital gauges.

On the side of your motor there should be, or there was, a decal that provides the complete model of your motor. And the engine ID. That would be helpful to give you the best possible answers you are looking for.

It looks like this.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, so let's try again
                          the engine plate says 115ceto 6e5, L 404072u

Tried to post pic but didn't work

the pic posted above is the correct gauge

I have nothing on the gauge at all, except it is back lit at night, so this is why I started by asking for a wiring diagram for the gauge

Hope I got it all correct this time

Comment

I have nothing on the gauge at all, except it is back lit at night, so this is why I started by asking for a wiring diagram for the gauge

Oh, I thought you only had no SPEED display... not "nothing on the gauge at all". While you still may have a clogged pitot (very common), that's obviously not the issue here.

Does anything look amiss at the engine? Wiring harnesses connected?

Comment

Much better. Thank you.

By serial number 6E5 L 404072, with a U, is a 1999 model year motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X