Fuse 1996 c60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse 1996 c60

My apologies in advance if this is in the wrong location, first time visitor.
    I just purchased a 1996 C60ELRU. While loading it, I broke a plastic fuse holder and felt it was inconsequential at the time.
    Now that the motor is mounted, I have no power at the forward control (Electric choke, starter all dead). I can start the motor with the pigtail disconnected by jumping at the starter relay but when connected it will not start. When I found the 20amp fuse that came out of the broken clip. It is on a red wire coming out of the pigtail and is followed by a lead that is not connected to anything. When I examined the Electric Diagram on the Crowley parts site, it shows the fuse and the lead but it does not show where it might connect. Is this pigtail intended to hang loose? Should it be connected somewhere?
    Thanks
    Last edited by NB Boater; 09-07-2023, 08:18 PM.

Originally posted by NB Boater View Post
    My apologies in advance if this is in the wrong location, first time visitor.
    I just purchased a 1996 C60ELRU. While loading it, I broke a plastic fuse holder and felt it was inconsequential at the time.
    Now that the motor is mounted, I have no power at the forward control (Electric choke, starter all dead). I can start the motor with the pigtail disconnected by jumping at the starter relay but when connected it will not start. When I found the 20amp fuse that came out of the broken clip. It is on a red wire coming out of the pigtail and is followed by a lead that is not connected to anything. When I examined the Electric Diagram on the Crowley parts site, it shows the fuse and the lead but it does not show where it might connect. Is this pigtail intended to hang loose? Should it be connected somewhere?
    Thanks
    what does the motor do when it will not start?
    does it turn the motor but not fire up?
    or just not turn the starter motor?
    kind of sounds like even if you jump the start relay it will not start when harness is connected

Comment

The 20 amp fuse provides power to the boat.

The male bullet connector connected to the fuse holder plugs into a female bullet connector at the starter relay.

Comment

Comment

Perfect! I will check to see if I can find it first thing in the morning

Comment

relays.png
            Can you tell me if 23 or 46 is the 'starter relay' ? Can the female bullet connector be identified in this diagram?

Comment

FYI, I have contacted Yamaha and I am waiting for a full printed copy of the service manual. I hope it will help me to keep any future queries to a little more sophisticated level. For now, the best I can do is to search the internet for diagrams and most of the free sketches I find come from part sales sites.
              With your help, I believe I may have found my problem. It looks to me like the female bullet is supposed to be part of my positive battery cable. The cables that came with my motor do not include that bullet connector. This seems very odd as the cables look like they were original and appear to be the same vintage as the motor, not to mention, male bullet is still on the fuse.
              Is there any issue with clipping the male bullet from the fuse and replacing it with a ring connector to be fastened to the starter relay along with the red battery cable?

Comment

#23 should be the start.
                seems like I remember on my C40 there is a red wire going to the fuse from the red battery cable that lands on at the start relay. It was routed back behind the big aluminum heat sink that the rectifier/regulator mounted on.

It was part of the battery cable it self, meaning it came out of that same ring terminal as the positive red cable end that landed on the start relay.

Comment

Originally posted by NB Boater View Post
                  FYI, I have contacted Yamaha and I am waiting for a full printed copy of the service manual. I hope it will help me to keep any future queries to a little more sophisticated level. For now, the best I can do is to search the internet for diagrams and most of the free sketches I find come from part sales sites.
                  With your help, I believe I may have found my problem. It looks to me like the female bullet is supposed to be part of my positive battery cable. The cables that came with my motor do not include that bullet connector. This seems very odd as the cables look like they were original and appear to be the same vintage as the motor, not to mention, male bullet is still on the fuse.
                  Is there any issue with clipping the male bullet from the fuse and replacing it with a ring connector to be fastened to the starter relay along with the red battery cable?
                  Should be no problem whatsoever. Just a different means of making the electrical connection.

Comment

Comment

I cannot thank you enough! I am going boating on a sunny Friday afternoon because of this site and your help.
                      Cheers, thank you, thumbs up and may God Bless you

Comment

Working...
                      X