Clear All

• water in water seperator = drained VST tank = advice on filling

2000 OX66
    2 stroke ]
    fuel injected
    250 hp
    don/t know model number

ran good , a week of rain here in fl ran ike crap ,

Water separator cap filled with water - How it got in ( don't know ) but getting new fill with base , plenty of 5200 - water deflector around fill , Keeping it covered

drained fuel from tank into a portable 6 gallon tank ( only had 5 gallons ) cleaned tank
    installing new separator filter
    no water in primary engine gas filter but installing new
    Drained VST tank , no water

Prior too install priming 2 filters with fuel

VST tank had fair amount of fuel - will pumping fuel ball and cranking engine fill VST tank ?
    , Sharder valve on VST , should i keep opening it removing air until fuel comes out
    anything else I should do ? SEA FOAM or carb fuel injector cleaner ?

thanks

Wait! Don't use 5200! That's super glue. It sounds like you're talking about the deck fuel fill? If you (or someone else) ever has to remove it in the future (maybe it get's damaged, or whatever), they'll be cussing you to no end. If you're simply "sealing" something, then use a marine sealant... Life Seal or 3M4000 would be excellent choices, although there are others. The deck fill, itself, wouldn't let water into the gas tank... but the fill cap's o-ring would. Inspect it.

Although... I don't really know what you mean by "water separator cap"? Do you mean the filter "bowl"? Water showed up there (the filter is doing it's job) because it was in the tank. FYI, you don't really have to replace the filter - there's no water in the filter... it's in the bowl. Can't hurt, though, to do it.

Did you check the drained fuel for water? MAKE SURE you siphoned out the fuel from the main tank from the lowest spot with the boats attitude adjusted so any remaining water drains to the siphon spot. Do it again if needed.

But... to fill the VST, just keep pumping the fuel bulb. Don't need to do anything else. You'll see it first fill the on-engine filter (although it's normal for that filter to only ever be about 1/2 full). You don't "have to" prime the filters, but if you do, just do the boat-mounted filter so you don't have to pump as much. Forget about the engine-mounted filter - doesn't really make a difference.

2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Just to quick summarize... check your fuel fill cap's o-ring

Comment

THANK YOU ,. will check O ring , water separator filter was changed last month , no other area for water too enter, gas station pumping bad gas or cap ,

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaw View Post
          THANK YOU ,. will check O ring , water separator filter was changed last month , no other area for water too enter, gas station pumping bad gas or cap ,
          Well, there is another area. I don't know what boat you have, but a tank (primarily if aluminum) can get holes on the top of it... sometimes underneath a wooden structure meant to keep the tank in place or to support the stringers. If it was installed incorrectly, it can trap moisture and cause corrosion. Also, the fuel sender gasket (whether the tank is aluminum or plastic) can be suspect.

Comment

Boat is GW-22- seaferer , tank replaced , with plastic ,previous owner , today i was re- installing hoses and thought perfect time too re- cork sending unit . just what you mentioned , , Water separator filter is recor 3232 , mounted outside on ,transom , changed two months ago , Top area of filter rim was rusted , Would like too find another place so water does not touch it , I do have room next too fuel tank , Previous owner used smaller tank.. , If I do that ball pump will require longer hose

Comment

FOUND OUT WHATS GOING ON ,
              MOISTURE UNDER GASKET ON THE FUEL GAUGE , RE- SEALED WITH WATER PROOF CORKING , PLUS A BEAD OF WATER PROOFING ALL AROUND OUTSIDE GAUGE
              O RING ON FILL SEEMS OK BUT WILL REPLACE
              BUT I THINK THE MAIN SOURCE IOF WATER IS FILTER ,
              WHEN I REMOVED YESTERDAY THERE WAS RUST OUTSIDE RING WHERE THE GASKET WOULD GO ,
              RUST ON THE FILTER SUPPORT BRACKET ,
              GASKET NOT SITTING CORRECTLY , SURPRISED i WAS ABLE TOO START ALL THESE WEEKS

Comment

it is hard for me to believe you did not find any water in the VST if water caused problems with the motor running or starting
                Last edited by 99yam40; 09-07-2023, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Lucky , , Hey I'm can catch a break sometimes

Comment

let me put it another way, how did water cause you problems with running or starting if the water never got into the vst?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      let me put it another way, how did water cause you problems with running or starting if the water never got into the vst?
                      Maybe it was sucking up air into the fuel line through the bad gasket?

Comment

Working...
                      X