• OX 66 - small amount of oil in base of motor ? trim & tilt support

Working my way thru getting too know this engine ,
    OB is new too me going from IOs

OX 66
    around year 2001
    2 stroke
    250 hp
    fuel injected
    Used boat few times and noticed after use when I trim up motor oil comes out , Not a lot , maybe 1 2 ( max ) caps full , Wipe it dry ,
    Oil container is up too fiull line , Cap tight and no residue of oil coming thru anyplace .
    Viewing areas of engine no indication of oil
    small amount base of motor
    I clean with brake cleaner and searching for oil marking but not noticing
    R there hoses I should be checking ,
    As I stated only a very small amount , but its bugging me
    IS this common with 2 stroke ?

ALSO , trim and tilt supports , - Just noticed best too use some sort of support placed over trim & tilt then lower engine , not using the support with moveable bracket supplied by yamaha .
    I see some use only one ?? would think two would be best ?
    thanks

it is not normal for oil to leak out.

you will need to find out where it is coming from, we sure cannot tell from where we are.
    I guess you are talking about supporting the motor while trailering.

I thought they usually just put a support on the tilt ram not the trims.

Comment

That's not motor oil - that's 2-stroke oil. No, it should not be leaking out. I'm assuming this is unburnt oil and not fuel/oil mixture that is leaking out? Check your plastic intake cover for coalesced oil vapor. Are both of the little hoses attached to the bottom of the intake cover?

Just keep doing what you're doing - follow all of the oil hoses - starting at the one coming through the rigging tube and the small injector hoses on the port side.

You can use the engine bracket tilt lever to support the engine while in the water or for small trips that aren't too bouncy. But I would't use it for more than that. I simply put a big block of wood between the engine and bracket (look for the 4 metal "pegs") and snug the engine down onto it. But, yes, you buy/make support tubes that slip over the trim rams.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Will be looking closer at the hoses especially the cluster of little hoses as suggested ,
        trim & tilt lever seemed not the best, used a few times that way, No engine bounce but not the best ,
        THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaw View Post
          Will be looking closer at the hoses especially the cluster of little hoses as suggested ,
          trim & tilt lever seemed not the best, used a few times that way, No engine bounce but not the best ,
          THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
          a mi tambien me sale un poco de aceite mezclado con gasolina y no sé de donde viene.. (Yamaha 50 HP autolube 1991)

Comment

Working...
          X