2004 Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke possible lean condition and overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke possible lean condition and overheating

I’m running hot, plugs show both lean condition and overheating condition if that makes sense, . I don’t know what’s causing it, I Rebuilt carb, new water pump, thermostat, new plugs, new oil,

I should note I didn’t touch the air/fuel mixture screw because there is what I believe a plug in front of it and I can’t remove. I’m guessing I should drill out? Try to pull and clean?

few questions can a bad oil pump cause overheating and result in showing a lean condition on spark plugs cause of high temps?

I thought maybe a water issue but pulled the heads and water system is clear. No obstruction.

Any help on where to start to diagnose I would appreciate .
    Last edited by Bangstick310; 07-30-2023, 07:17 PM.

Carbureted Yams are known to run lean. Thanks to the EPA.

Have you tried turning the idle mixture screw out a tad or two to try and make the fuel mixture a bit richer?

Comment

well how do you know the motor is running hot?
      you cannot clean a carb properly without taking it completely apart to clean all passages and jets.
      yes the pilot screws need to come out

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Carbureted Yams are known to run lean. Thanks to the EPA.

Have you tried turning the idle mixture screw out a tad or two to try and make the fuel mixture a bit richer?
        There was a plug in front and I was hesitant to try and get it out. Do I drill the plug out. ?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          well how do you know the motor is running hot?
          you cannot clean a carb properly without taking it completely apart to clean all passages and jets.
          yes the pilot screws need to come out
          I did everything except pilot screw becuase of the plug in front. I’m assuming I have to drill it out to get access?

also I can send pics of plugs when I get home later tonight. Plus I put a temp gauge around the plug area when running and if I remember correctly it was in the low 200 degrees and climbing before I shut it off.

Comment

yes, if the head is getting close to boiling temp, then you have a water circulation problem.
            you just have to figure out where that problem is.
            when does it overheat?
            does it set an alarm or bring in RPM limitation?

Comment

The plug is drilled out. Taking care not to insert the drill bit too far and damage the screw. Then screw a screw into the just drilled hole. Yank the plug out by pulling on the screw with a pair of pliers.

Comment

Working...
              X