Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 115 data to Garmin MFDs - what SHOULD I see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a full data set?

Comment

We got by for years, decades, and possibly a century without seeing much, if anything, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Offhand I recall the engine output of the F115XB as being

Engine RPM
        Trim position
        Low oil pressure or high engine temperature warnings
        Fuel flow
        System voltage (battery or alternator output)
        Intake manifold pressure
        Engine temperature
        Total engine ECM hours
        Confirming - I think - what you wrote, above - that I had not connected until now.

On another source, I stumbled on something re oil pressure. Can't confirm since boat isn't here, and since I have spent so little time inside the cowling - I saw a note that smaller than Yamaha 150s did NOT have an oil pressure data output - only a low pressure switch! Since this is so simple, it makes the most sense. Now, this has led me down the rabbit hole to determine what other sensors are not present on the smaller Yamaha motors - I'm not seeing the MAP anywhere - while a great thing on aircraft engines, maybe not so useful that Yamaha put it on their little motors?

And, yep - I remember using a stick for fuel level in our family's boats many years ago - not the best solution, but once one cut markings into the stick, it worked pretty darn well.

Comment

I would think your fuel injected motor would need to know if it was at sea level or up on a lake in the high mountains.
          that can be had with the Map at key on, motor not started.

along with throttle position to know how much fuel was needed to run properly.
          but not sure it would send that info out or just use it internally.

what has happened to fairdeal?
          he was the one that helped in this kind of discussions.
          he has not posted this year at all that I remember seeing
          Last edited by 99yam40; 07-15-2023, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The F115 series of motors do not use an oil pressure sensor. It uses an oil pressure switch only.

Yamaha EFI four strokes use a manifold pressure sensor to determine fuel scheduling requirements. Sometimes shown on some MFD's as "boost" pressure. Why? I have not a clue.

Other sensors can be added to the motor in which case data therefrom may be available. Water pressure and water speed for instance.

Fairdeal has left the building. This building and other similar buildings. I am in touch with him from time to time but he seems to have lost interest in outboard motor stuff.

Comment

Fairdeal had the patience of Job. I try but it is not in my DNA.

Comment

I remember a few crafty people T'ing into the oil pressure system so as to provide oil pressure to an NMEA 2000 sensor. In which case oil pressure can be displayed on an MFD.

Comment

Got it, and thanks boscoe99!

Apparently, my assumption that the 115 was rigged to output the basics ... was wrong. The only odd thing is the tables I've seen seem to show the 115 does output oil pressure ... I'll check the motor next time I'm at the storage lot to see if it's obvious.

I've been OK on previous boats without an oil pressure gauge - the warning horn works - I know this because on one boat, a SeaRay with 4.3 I/O, the selling dealer' mechanic, after draining the oil and changing the filter, never filled it up with oil. I started it at the river a few days later and the blaring sound was an awful thing.

Not sure if it is worth rigging another N2K cable, but I'll look into it.
                  Last edited by ForumUser1; 07-15-2023, 03:20 PM.

Comment

The basics differ from model to model. Which is why that it is so important to know the model identity. It used to be that the only commonality between Yams was the color. Even that is no longer the situation.

When you get a service manual for your motor take note that it does not have an oil pressure sensor. An oil pressure switch only.

Comment

From the SM

Comment

boscoe99,

Thank you, again - you beat this down with the smart stick!

Net - there is nothing wrong with my CL to N2K data flow and presentation!

I will check to see if I have a Boost display option - I may have seen it but figured it related to turbo or super charged engines.

Comment

Working...
                        X