Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 115 data to Garmin MFDs - what SHOULD I see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 data to Garmin MFDs - what SHOULD I see?

Hi All,

I’m attempting to determine if the very limited engine data displayed on my 2022 Garmin 94SV and 93SV is what it is “should” be.

In summary, I am getting some data, but not what I expected - doesn’t even show engine oil pressure!

My Key West 179 FS/Yamaha 115 was rigged with Yamaha Command Link (115 is not CL+ capable) components - there are no gauges, just the two displays:
    - Yamaha engine cable to Yamaha Hub (6Y8-81920-01 - photo)
    - Yamaha cable to Yamaha Gateway
    - Yamaha gateway (6YG-8A200-11 6YGA1064270 - photo) to NMEA 2000 backbone - photo).

I get graphic presentations on both Garmin displays (see photos) in two screens (must select the second):
    - Screen One - rpm, fuel available, fuel flow, engine tilt
    - Screen Two - battery voltage, engine water temperature

I get numbers offerings of about two dozen parameters in the presentation of rpm, engine fuel rate, as well, but the only data that shows with engine running is the same temp and fuel flow (see photos).

I have reviewed the Garmin manual and it shows that engine and fuel parameters “should” be displayed (engine PGNs 127488, 127489, 127493, 127498 and fuel level PGN 127505). I updated the 94SV and 93SV software, JIC, but no change.

I asked Garmin if the 94SV and 93SV “should” show more data - they have been responsive and asked me to send in microSD with download data set for them to review, but I have not been able to get them to tell me what “should” show - I provided photos of displays to them.

So:
    - SOME data shows and is accurate, so the data cable from the engine to the hub must be working and is plugged into the correct connector
    - my understanding is the hub is just a hub to allow other devices to be connected
    - the pigtail from hub to the gateway should be just a pigtail to get data to the gateway
    - the gateway’s function is supposedly to allow, “certain engine and boat data to be displaced on NMEA-2000 compatible displays that are external to the Yamaha system …”

In 2017 I rigged dual Garmin MFDs, with a Lowrance data cable direct to the N2K backbone I had installed (no hub, no gateway) - I had a lot more data showing. These MFDs were a bit more capable, but also called for the same PGNs to be displayed as the 94SV and 93SV.

Questions:
    1. Is the hub and gateway necessary to get engine data to the MFDs?
    - I think the answer is no
    - should I get a Lowrance cable and try it from engine direct to the N2K without the hub and gateway?
    - should I get a connector - TBD - from the hub to the N2K, taking the gateway out of the data path? (this would seem the same as a Lowrance direct cable)

2. Is it possible the Gateway that was installed from the factory in the boat is the wrong gateway?
    - I don’t know the answer to this, but some indicate this may be for CL+ systems, only?

3. Is there anything in my current configuration that would preclude getting more data and/or more comprehensive displays?
    - I don’t know.

4. Are these Garmins - 94SV and 93SV limited to what is shown in the photos, even though more data is being delivered?
    - I don’t know. I was hoping someone would have a like engine-MFD configuration and could comment or provide photos?
    - Garmin, thus far, has not answered as to what I “should” be getting on these specific MFDs

I really need some help - I can still boat since the motor/key has built in temp and oil pressure notification - aural, not visual, but ...

Thanks!

Whoops - the photo of he N2K backbone was between when I installed the last connector and the cable - cable was on order - it is installed now. Both Garmins "see" exactly the same engine data - such as it is.

Comment

All those words and pictures and I have no idea whatsoever as to the model of the motor.

Comment

Hi Boscoe99,

Something more than Yamaha 115? 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ForumUser1 View Post
          Hi Boscoe99,

Something more than Yamaha 115? 2022.
          see if you can figure out which of these 2022 115s you have
          Yamaha - Outboard - 115HP OEM Parts | Boats.net

Comment

Dunno ... probably 115XB ...

Comment

so you have no idea what motor you have?
              there should be a plate or sticker on the 2022 motor that has this info

Comment

The boat is at storage location right now. But, this line of questioning, from my reading, does not appear to relate to model. I appreciate you fellows really know your stuff, but, if you can get past this part - maybe assume this is a single engine on a small boat - a really common engine?

Comment

do you have paper work from when you bought it that has info
                  guessing at what motor it is not a good way to determine it.
                  why would we dig for info if we do not know what motor it is?
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 07-14-2023, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Invoice says XB, and owners manual is for F115/LF115.

Comment

The boat is at storage location right now. But, this line of questioning, from my reading, does not appear to relate to model. I appreciate you fellows really know your stuff, but, if you can get past this part - maybe assume this is a single engine on a small boat - a really common engine?
                      If you only knew how many times I got my ASS handed to me by assuming something that turned out not to be so.

Comment

Invoice says XB, and owners manual is for F115/LF115.
                        More than likely an F115XB.

MMM. Motor Models Matter.

Comment

The full model identity and the year of manufacture is helpful to know how to order the correct parts using the Yamaha US parts catalog.

Comment

Offhand I recall the engine output of the F115XB as being

Engine RPM
                            Trim position
                            Low oil pressure or high engine temperature warnings
                            Fuel flow
                            System voltage (battery or alternator output)
                            Intake manifold pressure
                            Engine temperature
                            Total engine ECM hours

Comment

Thanks, All.

So, the motor doesn't put out a full data set? Just those limited parameters?

Comment

Working...
                              X