Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX66 - 250 Hp - 2 stroke - starting after new fuel filter

OX 66 , - 250 Hp - 2 stroke
    OB new too me ( always owing IOs ) problems will definitely educate me on this motor

changed external fuel filter ,cleaning clear bottom bowl , Looked clean
    Primary filter ,- needed changing was dirty
    Primed both with little fuel
    Fired up
    idled on hose ,
    During week started ( always water running thru ) multiple times , letting it idle , few minutes , closing - never stalling ,

Other day ran about a minute then heard that sound sputtering , starving for fuel , DIED , - Just returned from few days out of town , back too boat , WHY ? , was running , maybe I hit kill switch clip ??
    Nope , it seems good ,
    Damn whats going on it was running ,

1/4 tank fuel , fuel sitting both filters bottom of bowls

Removed primary fuel filter ,maybe it was not sitting properly ? , looked good , seated properly
    When I prime filter bowl should I see fuel entering while pumping ? ,
    If I removed hose prior too primary and pump should I see fuel coming thru ?? I see no fuel pumping thru ?
    air in line ? tank ? vent
    Previous owner had shop clean VST box ,
    Will check CO 2 sensor , clean

Will check fuses
    heres were I dont know enough about this engine , coils , etc

Some thoughts and help is appreciated
    ​​​​​​​

Can you define what you mean by "primary" fuel filter?

The on-engine fuel filter... Is there gas in there? Yes, when you pump the fuel bulb, fuel should fill that. Does it?

There is a drain screw on the VST tank... unscrew that and drain the fuel into a suitable container. How much came out? A spaghetti jar is good for this.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

FOLLOW UP
      Found it
      2 issues ,
      I call the primary fuel filter in engine , external is fuel / water seperator
      I think external fuel water seperator had gasket not sitting even , allowing air ,
      Once I had it sitting even , tight , pump ball pumped fuel into primary clear canister
      But think the main issue was key switch , Got under dash found loose wiring , tightened everything and starts

thanks for getting back trying too assist

Comment

Yeah, if that gasket wasn't right or the external filter wasn't screwed down enough... that could definitely do it as the bulb has to PULL fuel through the external filter, first.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Make sure you put oil on the rubber seal on top of the water separater. W/S . same with the treads & seal on engine filter I get SO many that were not installed correctly. A vice grip chain wrench is a great tool for the tough ones.. Some times I have to remove the complete Assembly,, mount to a stainless steel plate (I made for this) and use extreme force to unscrew.... Otherwise you can tear it out/off its mounting surface easily.

Comment

Working...
          X