Slight leak drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight leak drain plug

On a new to me 2005 225, I noticed that there is a very small pool of oil about the size of a quarter over a period of 2 weeks and is definitely coming from the lower unit drain plug. The screw/plug appears very tight. Is there an o ring or other seal behind this plug?

Updated: drain plug

I just looked on 'purchase parts' section an found that there are 2 gaskets. I assume that these are the culprits of my leak?

Comment

probably
      sometimes referred to as a "crush washer"
      the idea being that it seals well the first time it is installed
      but not as well if re-used
      same washer on upper and lower

if you leave the upper plug in
      working quickly, you can remove the lower plug,
      replace the washer and reinstall
      without losing a significant amount

however, if it was me, with a "new to me" engine
      unless I had real good assurance
      that the gear lube was recently/appropriately changed

I would just drain & refill (w/new lube & washers of course)
      that way I would stop the dripping
      know that it was correctly filled with good lube
      (and get some insight via examination of what comes out)

Comment

Usually there is only one gasket per plug. What is the complete model of the motor you are working on?

Sometimes a gasket gets stuck in the lower unit and if another is added to the plug it can result in a leak. Given the relatively cheap price of the gasket and the importance of that bugger it is not a bad idea to install a new one each time the plug is removed.

Too bad an O ring is not used and too bad that Yamaha does not use what I will refer to as the Evinrude lower unit oil system which has a reservoir that can be inspected to see if the lower unit needs to be serviced or not. Yamaha is slow to come up with modern technology. I bet if the EPA had not forced their hand they would still be using 6 or 8 carburetors.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Usually there is only one gasket per plug. What is the complete model of the motor you are working on?

Sometimes a gasket gets stuck in the lower unit and if another is added to the plug it can result in a leak. Given the relatively cheap price of the gasket and the importance of that bugger it is not a bad idea to install a new one each time the plug is removed.

Too bad an O ring is not used and too bad that Yamaha does not use what I will refer to as the Evinrude lower unit oil system which has a reservoir that can be inspected to see if the lower unit needs to be serviced or not. Yamaha is slow to come up with modern technology. I bet if the EPA had not forced their hand they would still be using 6 or 8 carburetors.
          Thanks Bosco99 and Fairdeal. this is a 2005 F225TXRD. The parts site shows two washers which is strange to me - maybe Yamaha was trying to save on parts sku's otherwise they could have used a thicker washer or an o ring.

Comment

It is one gasket per plug. Two gaskets total.

If it were two gaskets per plug the illustration would show two gaskets for the upper plug and two for the lower plug. The quantity call out would be for a total of four gaskets.

Comment

thanks for the clarification - 2 on 1 plug didn't make sense to me

Comment

Just as a side note, a dentist's pick tool is a great (and cheap) addition to your tool box. Sometimes the gaskets/seals can get stuck on there pretty good. Often you can pop them out with a screwdriver, but if any remains the pick tool works very well. I got a set of 5 at HF a few years ago - might have paid $5.
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                  Just as a side note, a dentist's pick tool is a great (and cheap) addition to your tool box. Sometimes the gaskets/seals can get stuck on there pretty good. Often you can pop them out with a screwdriver, but if any remains the pick tool works very well. I got a set of 5 at HF a few years ago - might have paid $5.

Also, if you do the oil change on a lift OVER THE open water, the gasket WILL FALL OUT as will the bolt, guaranteed..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Also, if you do the oil change on a lift OVER THE open water, the gasket WILL FALL OUT as will the bolt, guaranteed..
                    Bolts are as attracted to water as they are to magnets. Maybe moreso.

Comment

Just did mine yesterday 70 hp etlg one washer drain plug is magnetic. Best to replace washer after draining lube.

Comment

just remember the magnetic plug ALWAYS goes on the BOTTOM hole.
                        one some cases if you put the magnetic plug in the top hole it DESTROYS the gearcase.
                        yep I have seen that one to many times.

Comment

Rod ,
                          why and how does it destroy the gear case.
                          Just curious

Comment

on some cases, the magnet part will go in far enough to contact the upper thrust bearing at the driveshaft causing it NOT to turn which quicly leads to a case failure,typically a catastrophic failure as the metal runs through the pinion.

Comment

Thanks Rodbolt,
                              good to know that can happen if someone screws up the locations

Were the ones you saw large HP motors or smaller ones?

Comment

Working...
                              X