Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yamaha 90TLRA charging/running volts output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And your point is?

A Yamaha regulator is what it is. Many output greater than 15 volts. Many Yamaha's apparently do not damage the battery to which they are connected.

I never said that 10 amps was being provided to a battery. I said the maximum stated output from the regulator is 10 amps. Some of this current is used to operate the motor. Some (not all) is provided to a battery. The rest is wasted in the form of heat. Feel free to install an ammeter to determine the exact current flow to a battery and when it occurs. Then decide the amount of time that amount of current can be provided to the battery before something adverse happens. Of course you will be replenishing the lost amount of water as part of your routine servicing of the battery.

If you have a problem with a Yamaha regulator outputting greater than 15 volts then you will need to take this up with Yamaha. How is your Japanese?

Comment

Stuck water pump impeller

I have the water pump impeller ready for replacement on my 2001 F115 Yahmaha 4 stroke.However the impeller remains stuck on the shaft after attempts to pry it up with flat blade screwdrivers.Is it harmless to cut it off? Does the impeller have a metal inner core?Thanks.

Comment

hahahahahha dam...

now let me throw this at ya...

How`s about I watch the volt gauge climb to 16.4 until it starts flashing and that sir is an alarm...

This is with a brand new starting battery that has a full charge.
        all my test equipment tells me so.

yesterdays ride was with the stereo cranking and the V hasn`t risen past 15.4-8

now today we had family onboard and didn`t blare the stereo and immediately saw above 15, ok ok this is normal. but as soon as we came up on plane and within minutes of running at speed the volts climbed to 16.4 and the numbers were flashing within the gauge, so for a test I idled down cranked up the radio (FF and GPS remain on) and the flashing didn`t stop until the readings went below 16.0V...

so much for this circus of a thread huh!

I had put the Deep cycle in the spare battery tray under the helm.

when I got to an open calm area of water I swapped out the batteries.

restarted and continued on our way, I did this to get a comparison.
        with the Yamaha MF gauge, and the 12V power socket digital test gauge (which was within a few 1/10ths of each other) showed lesser volts with a max of 15.6-8 and did not trip the alarm. with the stereo on at mid level I was averaging 14.8-15.0, and with no load saw a little more, but did not trip the alarm...

so what do I have ghosts on this boat!

Both battery`s are at 100% charge...

I give up...

I did pull the cowl to check the reg/rec and I could hold it for any period of time, sure it was warm>hot but not to hot that it was burning away. I`d say it was the same temps as the surrounding case/metal.
        Last edited by SeaDawg3; 10-09-2015, 02:35 PM.
        02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
        02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Why not buy a Yamaha voltage regulator for a larger motor and then adapt it to work with the smaller motor?

Or buy an aftermarket voltage regulator.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...MYCtjeFtCtM%3A

There is nothing like being in search of a solution when there is no problem.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 10-09-2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

hey I`m not looking to argue. but don`t be crass with the comments.

I guess Yamaha designed the MF gauge to flash @ 16.2V just bc they had nothing better to do... ok

the more I read up on this, it points to using a larger battery, (which in this case) which has less resistance to bleeding off current.
            a battery with a large reserve will absorb the over production.

just for the record, I`ve come across a good amount of threads pertaining to this same scenario.
            14.6+ volts being good and up to 15+, but as soon as they installed a new larger starting battery the system went haywire.
            Unfortunately no direct reason for this phenomenon.

thanks guys...
            Last edited by SeaDawg3; 10-09-2015, 09:08 PM.
            02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
            02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Google "Yamaha outboard 90 overcharging" and there are >3000 hits

some of them postings on this very site, going back months and years

so you are not alone...

I read just enough to recognize complaints identical to yours

(but I didn't see anything that resembled a "good answer")

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                Google "Yamaha outboard 90 overcharging" and there are >3000 hits

some of them postings on this very site, going back months and years

so you are not alone...

I read just enough to recognize complaints identical to yours

(but I didn't see anything that resembled a "good answer")
                exactly this^^^^^

I did that and read numerous post before asking the experts here.
                and I`m not a stranger to the tools. I had what I consider a typical professional reaction when I first saw this higher charging number. so then my next move was to ask...

I`m now reading these cases have started when switching to a new larger starting battery, and the funny thing is I used the same exact size @ 1000MCA.

hundreds reporting this and still no direct answer not even from the manufacturers engineers as some have wrote.
                02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Check this out. From a Yamaha F75/F90 service manual. It is peak voltage by the way.

I report, you decide. Boscoe be just a messenger.

Comment

From what I have read, the peak voltage specs in manual are minimums when testing

Comment

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...p-th14673.html

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...c-th12311.html

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...em-th4465.html

http://www.fishyfish.com/boards/inde...ic=1024.0;wap2

A quote from this thread>http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/yama...opic36465.html

I spoke to a guy in the workshop of the local Yamaha dealership who said that the fault I describe is not a fault at all but a peculiarity that has arisen since the later digital guages have been used. He said that the alternator is charging as the guage reads (in my case about 16.2V) but the guage recognises this level of charge as too high and flashes as if it's a fault. Apparently this level of charge is usual for these engines. He also said that there is a kit available to eliminate the guage alerting a charge fault.

and another quote:

Yamaha are supplying a kit that stabilises battery voltage that is fitted behind the dash, it is connected into the yellow and black wires of the wiring harness, talk to your dealer, they can get them supplied by Yamaha, this fixes the problem you are talking about.

and another:

FWIW the battery is the load to the charging circuit. The charging cct is probably designed to run at least a couple of amps , probably more. With a battery going open circuit the regulator voltage will be allowed to float high as its lost its reference to ground. The electronics alone probably do'nt draw enough current to pull the regulator down.

and yet another good thread for info:
                      http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...arging-problem
                      Last edited by SeaDawg3; 10-09-2015, 10:47 PM.
                      02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                      02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Check this out. From a Yamaha F75/F90 service manual. It is peak voltage by the way.

I report, you decide. Boscoe be just a messenger.

trust me, I get it and I thank you for the help.
                        I have not seen that info until just now.

so am I to assume the F90 has the same charging system as my 02 90TLRA 2 stroke?

so then Yamaha corp has the alarm flashing at 16.4 why?

see what I mean... you think/know your doing good by update old parts for the sake of a better outcome or longevity and no, not the case.

something is going to shit the bed. FF/GPS/radio, something, then that would suck...

or if and when I wire up a DC house battery and run my electronics off of that, what will the new charge voltage be, 35??? lololololololol

side note, not apples to apples, but you get it...

twin rotax engines, 2 reg/rec both wired to the ecm (ecm does not con***** charge functions)
                        at the helm 14.6, at the battery 14.7 Bam and done. and this was with an AGM for 4 yrs and not one stick of problems...

yam 90, changed the reg.rec add new starting battery now 16+V, WTF...

hopefully when some other unfortunate soul has this issue and google finds this, he`ll have a better understanding.

in one thread, a member suggested keeping the nav lights on... now my head hurts, lol...

what would be great is if I found out why the sudden rise from yet a high 15+ which is the norm, to now my alarm flashing...
                        something just doesn`t make any sense.
                        it was 81° today and the water was slightly cooler, and that aint it...
                        Last edited by SeaDawg3; 10-09-2015, 10:05 PM.
                        02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                        02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Avoid over-voltage issues with CDI’s Regulated Rectifiers

Comment

thanks...

isn`t the part I have a regulator and a rectifier? I consider 2002 a late engine VS early...
                            02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                            02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

they do not offer one for the Yamaha 90 in viewing their catalog.
                              02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                              02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

It is amazing how this thread has kept on track.
                                Although it might be argued that issues raised are not really issues but normal, that there are industries out there that recognise them and make products that address shortcomings.
                                You got to laugh that a kit is available to override a safety alarm!
                                The issue of whether OBs have adequate electrical regulation will continue to be question. The difficulty is with outputs derived from permanent magnet generators.
                                There should never be an issue with car style alternators on OBs.

As costs of batteries go up, from an economical point of view, smaller engines need to lift their ****. They need to provide the same quality regulation that you find in the plethora of modern battery chargers.

My point earlier was that as charging voltage rises so does the charging current, and as a result the more the voltage the lesser the life of the battery.

The humble ammeter ( two way reading ampmeter) where had it gone? It took awhile before it was suggested that current going into the battery be measured.

If you measure the voltage and subtract 12.6 and multiply by the current, this is the wattage going into the battery that is counterproductive reducing it's lifespan!
                                It turns into unwanted chemical reactions, such as creation of hydrogen and oxygen that cannot be reversed; and heat.

So I am worried that overcharging is becoming costly. I would expect that large batteries have no need to be absolutely fully charged (because why do we put them in?); so it is completely stupid to drive them to overcharge!

Comment

Working...
                                X