Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video - '99 Yamaha 2stroke 40hp - Way too much play, missing a bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    99yam40 are you not getting my messages?
    nothing today
    I replied to a message yesterday I think
    and last week or 2
    something about if I had a clamp on ammeter.
    which I said you had asked me that before and I took some reading for you, but that was a good long time ago.

I logged out and back in and sent you a message.
    that message shows up in my messages now, but not the ones you sent and I replied to earlier.
    maybe my account is working properly again
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-28-2023, 11:59 AM.

Comment

I think the power plant needs to come off to better understand the nature of the problem and to perform the repair.
      power plant kind of threw me, power head is what I would call it

Comment

Originally posted by phisherman View Post
        boscoe99, no my inbox is empty...strange.

99yam, agreed on the shaft flopping around. In that same "bracket 4" parts diagram on the 1999 40TRLX, part #4 would be the bushing which seems completely gone.

Whether is the steering bracket bushing or the upper mount, still feels like the only way to access to lift the head.

Going to start disconnecting stuff and labeling...
        It looks to me like that shaft should be solidly attached to that steering arm bracket.
        at least that is what the parts diagram shows for #1

Comment

Mr. phisherman, would you be kind enough to take some current measurements if you have a clamp on ammeter?

Comment

Mr. phisherman, would you be kind enough to take some current measurements if you have a clamp on ammeter?
            What are you wanting amp readings on?
            AC or DC
            he is busy tearing apart his motor

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

power plant kind of threw me, power head is what I would call it
              Power plant is more of an aviation term. I prefer it to power head.

Comment

What are you wanting amp readings on?
                AC or DC
                he is busy tearing apart his motor
                AC from the lighting coil. DC from the rectifier/regulator. Motor running at ~ 1000 RPM. Battery fully charged.

I am still playing with electrical stuff. Yamaha R/R's seem to be quite different than Mercury or motorcycle ones. Not sure about a Suzuki R/R. Thinking it might be like a Yam R/R.

Comment

AC from the lighting coil. DC from the rectifier/regulator. Motor running at ~ 1000 RPM. Battery fully charged.

I am still playing with electrical stuff. Yamaha R/R's seem to be quite different than Mercury or motorcycle ones. Not sure about a Suzuki R/R. Thinking it might be like a Yam R/R.
                  that sounds familure, did we do this once before?

I will need to look to see how well my battery is charged up since I have not had the boat in the water for months, and I am not sure how easy it is to get to the AC with a clamp on.
                  heck I am not real sure how accurate these old meters are.
                  But will have a go at it once I charge the battery up.

we did do this before
                  99Yam help needed - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 05-28-2023, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Power plant is more of an aviation term. I prefer it to power head.
                    I worked in power plants that made electrical power along with steam for chemical processes back years ago.
                    these are nothing like those power plants

Comment

Happy to help when I get this thing back together. Waiting on a buddy to drop his engine hoist. Have everything disconnected and the bottom powerhead gasket seal broken. Will keep you posted.

Comment

that sounds familure, did we do this once before?

I will need to look to see how well my battery is charged up since I have not had the boat in the water for months, and I am not sure how easy it is to get to the AC with a clamp on.
                        heck I am not real sure how accurate these old meters are.
                        But will have a go at it once I charge the battery up.

we did do this before
                        99Yam help needed - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum
                        Boscoe, did you get a message from me?
                        I see it in my sent folder

I have my boat battery on a charger, in the morning I can take some readings at !000RPM.
                        Like last time, I should be able to clamp onto the green/white stripe wire from lighting coil to get a measurement for AC output.
                        I have 3 clamp on meters that read AC ( the 2 digitals agree on the AC current to a 1000Watt fishing light current, but the analog reads .4 amps higher.
                        but only one that reads DC.
                        but not sure where you want me to take a DC amp measurement.
                        on the positive cable to/at the battery, or somewhere else
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-28-2023, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I worked in power plants that made electrical power along with steam for chemical processes back years ago.
                          these are nothing like those power plants
                          There are powerplants and then there are powerplants.

An aircraft mechanic may work on a two cylinder two stroke drone motor or a GE9X producing 134,000 pounds of thrust. Some of the latter or other gas turbines may be used to produce electricity or to pump gas or oil. To the mechanic they are all powerplants.

Comment

https://youtube.com/shorts/VpZUL_kxWEQ?feature=share

OK, looks like we have snapped steering bracket. Take a look at the video and let me know what else I should replace. Much appreciated!!!

Comment

One more video of the upper mounts that are cooked:

https://youtube.com/shorts/9MHY00CE2fE?feature=share

Comment

all you can do is take things apart to see what else is damaged.
                                bushings etc in the swivel bracket that shaft runs thru might have some problems

Comment

Working...
                                X