Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video - '99 Yamaha 2stroke 40hp - Way too much play, missing a bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video - '99 Yamaha 2stroke 40hp - Way too much play, missing a bushing?

Hi All, need your help again! Here is the video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/7VTNLhFVVTo?feature=share

Noticed this while winterizing the engine. Has me nervous as I don't want to bend the drive shaft and it seems like it would run right through where this is pivoting.

Appreciate the guidance as always!

That’s not normal….way too much play….best to get the upper and lower pivot bearings replaced…At least that’s what I would do!

Comment

That’s not a loose pivot bearing. Seems like the top engine mount has come apart (bolts completely undone?)

Something that needs repair before next outing!

Comment

There are two upper motor mounts that are loose or broken. Easy to get to with the right tools.. Sorta a rare issue. But,, hey welcome to boats. LOL... PS. might wanna get some JIS screw drivers first
        Last edited by Keithbaja; 10-26-2022, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Great, thank you for the intel.

Comment

Another question before I attempt replacing the upper mount/damper > Will I need to remove/lift the power head to get access?!

Comment

No. But a block of wood and pwr trim or trailer wheel jack helps

Comment

Keithbaja, Finally getting to this project. I am not seeing how I access the upper motor mount area without removing the powerhead. Can you share a bit more guidance about using a block of wood and power trim?

Comment

Probably to support the engine:

Seems part #22 would be the failed part, bolts #27 and 23(and nuts) need to be removed..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-28-2023, 08:33 AM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

To start with, I would drop the apron and look to see what the problem is.
                    broken rubber mount or rusted off bolts.
                    I have not replaced that mount before, but you might have a better idea of what is needed by looking at that mount itself

Comment

https://youtube.com/shorts/-IfmsGMrFTQ?feature=share

Here is where I’m at. Still feels like I need to lift the powerhead to gain access. Let me know if you agree!! Appreciate the help.

Comment

seems the mount is not what is loose.
                        looking at the diagram Towns posted, the shaft #1 should be attached to the steering arm, and it is just flopping around

Comment

99yam40 are you not getting my messages?

Comment

I think the power plant needs to come off to better understand the nature of the problem and to perform the repair.

Comment

boscoe99, no my inbox is empty...strange.

99yam, agreed on the shaft flopping around. In that same "bracket 4" parts diagram on the 1999 40TRLX, part #4 would be the bushing which seems completely gone.

Whether is the steering bracket bushing or the upper mount, still feels like the only way to access to lift the head.

Going to start disconnecting stuff and labeling...

Comment

Working...
                              X