X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audible alarm

Hello,
    Twin F150s,
    I used to get three beeps when I first turned on either engine before going to start. Now nothing out of either. Is the alarm horn common to both?
    Both engines run perfect, no problem there.
    Thanks
    Kirk

UPDATE: Just went out and took a closer look, looks like each engine has it's own beeper, just can't imagine what caused them both to go out (I think) at the same time. FWIW I do have a voltmeter for each engine taped off each yellow lead going to each chime and it has worked great like this for 5 years. Would that be something that may have caused the chimes to go out?
    Last edited by Kirk Gibson; 09-09-2015, 03:44 PM.

0n my 2006 F150, I don't get any beeps on start up (ever actually)

And I have checked that it works..

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/SRT...ff81b.mp4.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-10-2015, 07:22 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

duel engines, if rigged correctly, self test . they also have a stall alarm.
      either both horns failed or the DES switch is not working.
      to test simply pull the stop lanyard and crank them, horns should sound.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        duel engines, if rigged correctly, self test . they also have a stall alarm.
        either both horns failed or the DES switch is not working.
        to test simply pull the stop lanyard and crank them, horns should sound.
        I know this ^^^ refers to dual engine set ups.

If you look at my video, (just the start up), that's normal correct or ? (pulling the clip, the horn activates, etc). There shouldn't be anything else correct?

*Sorry for the de-rail but the video does relate to the OPs issue..
        Scott

Comment

Thanks

Yes I pulled the lanyard, tried cranking it, ...no alarm.
          So I will test each horn next.

Comment

Part number

Well, looks like my buzzers have bit the dust. Anybody know the part number for them? I can't seem to find it.
            Also could any 12v alarm buzzer (maybe one with a light) be used in their place? Or is this some sort of special buzzer?
            Thanks,
            Kirk

Comment

Not sure of your year or model # but it should be listed in one of these depending on your style control box/key mount;

2006 and Later Rigging Yamaha Outboard Parts
              Scott

Comment

Thanks

***, thanks, right there it was! I am bookmarking that page.
                Would any 12V buzzer work do you think?

Comment

Its likely just a two wire, 12 volt set up. Checking the voltage (when activated) would confirm this.

If your going to do this I would get a marine grade unit, you don't want it failing when needed...

A marine scrape yard might be a good place to start and you could check it right there(with a 12 volt battery)..

If using a buzzer, make sure you can hear it while underway (worse case scenario, WOT).
                  Scott

Comment

Thanks again

Oh, I wasn't worried about the price of the buzzers, I was just wondering if one is made that would also have a light so if the buzzer part failed the light might still work. I don't see any on the net that are listed as marine that have both a buzzer and light.
                    I see the cheap kind that looks like they might work for automotive.
                    It is 12V because I have a voltmeter for each motor tapped off each buzzer lead and they still show 12V+

Comment

I would stick to the proper parts,
                      seems I remember reading about someone putting in something from radioshack that bled power through and caused some kind of problems.

You need to remember this thing is powered up all the time and the ground controls when it sounds

Comment

Right

Yes 12V+ constantly and when alarm occurs the grd. circuit is closed to the buzzer. I would connect and other 12V alarm device (with or without a light) in the same manner.

Comment

The stock buzzer (at least on mine) is just behind the ignition key, inside the center console and its pretty loud.

IMO, put a new stock buzzer in, if its not loud enough for you, you can always add an LED red "dash light", or such later..

Heck, you could probably wire in a second buzzer as well more out in the open OR extend the OEM one closer to the controls...
                          Scott

Comment

Buzzer

Yes I am going to go with a standard buzzer and probably wire in a dash light (one for each side) in parallel with the buzzer.
                            Thanks for the input guys.
                            Kirk

Comment

You might want to consider the use of a relay to power a non oem buzzer, particularly if a light and/or a second buzzer is used. The ECU will control the relay. It might not be healthy for the ECU to have the additional electrical loads flowing through it if a relay is not used.

Comment

Working...
                              X