F40 sheared drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40 sheared drive shaft

Have a F40 that sheared the driveshaft just below the mid shaft bushing. Had to drill and tap the end of the shaft and use a slide hammer to get it out. Seems as though the bushing might have caused the failure as we had a tough time getting the shaft through it. basically had to use a slide hammer all the way out. Now, i need to get the collar and bushing out so that I can replace them both. Thinking about using a bearing puller. Any ideas or tricks to get these things out? hoping that I don't have to pull the power head.

what F40 are you dealing with?
    Yamaha - Outboard - 40HP OEM Parts | Boats.net

Comment

2009, 40 hp fourstroke

Comment

I see 4 2009 F40 motor listed in that link I posted, which one are you dealing with?

Comment

Yamaha model info is more classified than those mar a lago documents.

Comment

I really don't know which of the four it is. But, they are all the same with regard to the upper casing bushing. Take your pick, go to the upper casing and the bushings are #31. The plastic collar #32 sits right below it.

Comment

Looks like once the circlip is removed that spacer and needle bearing should fall out.. I don't see any "outer" bearing.

Capture.JPG
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Should be a data plate on the side of the motor with the complete engine ID.

Comment

The don't fall out, that's for sure.

Comment

Looks like the wider part of #31 works with the bearing and the "wider part" (lower) is what's snug in the mid-section..
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The bushing is not pressed in, but it's driven in with a special tool. Definitely tight so that it doesn't spin in the case. The bottom piece is plastic and should come out easily. Spoke to a tech and he said they cut them out with a hack saw blade. Cut through the bushing then use a screwdriver to bend it inward. Sometimes it takes several cuts to remove the entire bushing. Then, according to him, they leave them out.

Comment

Working...
                      X