No announcement yet.

Water spraying up from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your video looks a lot like the spray my motor produces but it never gets in the boat....maybe build a little transom "fence" 2 or 3 inches high to keep your spray out of the boat?.....

Comment

It certainly sprays a bunch upwards (about 45 degree's).

If you can peek while someone else drives where the cavitation plate is may help.

You mentioned its somewhat easy to get caviation when turning. Perhaps the engine is indeed to far up and that stock plate is too high causing the issue/NOT preventing it.

Its easy enough to lower the engine one hole, especially if your getting cavitation fairly easily..

As noted above, some 1/8" aluminum trimmed to fit, use the 4 forward lower unit bolts (longer bolts with spacers) should take care of the issue and it really shouldn't have to be that large. No mods/drilling to the engine at all..

*My transom mounted depth finder puck was spraying all kinds of water onto the engine (bad). I ended up making an aluminum bracket (thinner than 1/8") that actually bolted to the mount (no new hull holes). Knocked the water spray back down where it belonged...
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-06-2015, 06:58 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Great idea Townsend. I'd love to see a picture of your transducer deflector. I have the same issue with my newly installed transducer

Comment

Originally posted by MarshMarlowe View Post
          Great idea Townsend. I'd love to see a picture of your transducer deflector. I have the same issue with my newly installed transducer

Here ya go;

You can see it uses the existing mounting bolt for the transducer. The hole below that is so you still have access to adjust the transducer angle. Note the separate 90' angle tab, up against the hull (with clear HD, 3M tape to prevent marring to the hull). That prevents ANY movement..

One downside, with that plate installed it is CONSIDERABLY HARDER for the transducer to pop up should you hit something (has never been an issue in 18 years).
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-07-2015, 08:38 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Marsh, My AV plate is 1 1/2" above the keel currently. I`ll blow out the prop in a sharp turn which is to be expected when trimmed out. I`ll trim the engine in before making a turn at speed and she does not break loose. I`m running a Yamaha 13.5 x 15K alum 1/2 clever type prop and the hook up is still good at my engine height.

every boat is different. I don`t carrying anything in my storage on the Starboard side, and I haven`t used the live well yet on the Port side. I understand with the additional weight in the rear I could bring in water from the scuppers when slowing down or coming to a stop... Before raising the engine I was a bit to deep and plowing with the LU. for me , it is better now but more splash at low trimmed in speeds.
            02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
            02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Working...
            X