Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha digital gauge selection questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are the correct cables. There should be a white tag telling you which end to connect to the engine or the gauges. I forget which it is.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe, I have a good used harness, and there is a white tag on one end, but the print has worn off/faded. I guess the easiest thing to do is see what ends match the under cowl harness.
      02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
      02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

ok, install went well, took the old trim harness out and fed the new one in. Installed the gauges and the supply harness and hooked everything up and proved it again before I tested the system.

Gauges power up with key on,
        trim gauge works
        volt gauge works
        oil level gauge works
        mph is displayed

but the fuel gauge has the last bar flashing. I could have sworn I read something here on the forum recently, just can not find it.

anyway, the paper work says all boats built in the US , ABYC 30-240 ohms.

my tanks is close to full, give or take 5 gallons and I`m reading around 267 ohms at the pink wire. with the nose of the boat raised it will read higher than normal. with the old analog gauge at rest the gauge reads pretty accurately.

the dip switches are supposed to be #3 off and #4 on.
        I checked all the wires and ground and the sender, it all proves out.

So for giggles I switched the setting to the Europe setting of #3 off and #4 off and Bam, fuel gauge reads full... what gives???

the name on the sender top read Spartan, that`s about all I could see...
        02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
        02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

The digital gauge and the analog fuel gauges are both not connected at the same time, correct? They cannot be.

A US sender reads backwards from a European sender.

Connect the white wire from the speedometer to the black wire from the speedometer. Does the gauge indicate the tank is full? And when disconnected does the gauge should show no fuel?

I bet you have a wiring problem or a sender problem.

Comment

I`ll go test that right now, and report in a few.

The Faria analog gauge worked. that gauge is out. and the Yamaha Multifunctions are in...
            02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
            02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

ugh... scratching my head now.
              wiring proves out through a continuity test/OHM. also reading 260 ohms at the sender and wires ends...

analog gauge was working prior to disassembly and yesterday at the boat ramp right before we were taking the boat out. It is a very short drive from the ramp to our house. maybe 1 1.5 miles tops...

all your tests proved out to, disconnect wires and fuel is flashing, tie the white and black together and the gauge reads max full. re set the dip switches back to US and connect wires and the fuel gauge flashes...

the only thing that was done to the fuel sender circuit was to add bullet connectors for the speedo multifunction gauge. that`s it...

now this is weird but, I had to jumps on the brakes to get the boat to slide2 inches to the bow roller, rug bunks and bottom paint don`t slide to well... could this action have damaged the float arm???

tomorrows another day, sigh...
              02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
              02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

ok, forget all that until I retest again tomorrow.
                I just went outside and open the gas cap and shook the boat and I could hear plenty of gas in the tank echoing from the filler hose. I opped off the deck plate and gave the sender a light tap with the back of a orange deadblow. put my Fluke meter on the terminals and no reading 54-56 ohms....

lower the boat to drop the bow and retested to see the numbers changed as the fuel moved to the forward part of the tank. numbers increased.

ok, tomorrow I`ll hook the gauge back up and see what`s what...
                02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

ok, sender showing correct ohms, and the fuel gauge is working at the moment.
                  Had to be a stuck float or bad connection under the deck...
                  Attached Files
                  02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                  02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Yahoo! to you.

Comment

Thanks for all the help Boscoe!

man I should have done this when I bought the boat back in May. These are nice!
                      a few things I noticed that were a bit different, but I`ll start another new thread with that.
                      I would have to think that these gauges are a bit more accurate than the Faria`s.
                      surprisingly the speedo is pretty dam close to GPS speeds, ***...
                      02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                      02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Working...
                      X