No announcement yet.

Connect Twin Yamaha F150XA with Mechanical Binnacle Controls to Garmin J1939

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect Twin Yamaha F150XA with Mechanical Binnacle Controls to Garmin J1939

Hello, new member here but have been lurking around through extensive research as I am attempting to connect my twin F150 engines to my Garmin chart plotters (1243xsv and 7612xsv). The way my boat was rigged was via the use of Inline hubs to connect the two engine pigtails to the 6Y8 gauges. I have three 6Y8 gauges, 1 is a tachometer and it is connected to one of the main bus harness that connects to port engine pigtail and the other two gauges are a tachometer and speed/fuel gauge that is connected to the other main bus harness that is connected to the starboard engine pig tail. The speed/fuel gauge also has a fuel sender lead that I have not been able to trace where it goes.

Also, my boat does not have any Yamaha multi-device hubs or a Yamaha NMEA Gateway and is outfitted with mechanical binnacle controls.

I have already purchased ONE Yamaha multi-device hub and used it to replace one of the inline hubs that feeds the pigtail to one of the tachometers...I was able to see this engine but not the other via J1939. I also checked the Garmin settings to configure it for twin engines but the second engine was not detected.

I also tried to connect BOTH engines to the single Yamaha multi-device by removing the BUS terminator on the hub and connecting the port main harness to a BUS port and the other starboard main harness to the second BUS port on the hub, but I was still not able to see both engines.

I am assuming I am going to need TWO Yamaha multi-device hubs where each engine's main bus connects to its respective hub and then I am also assuming I can merge both hubs by using a main bus harness between the two hub's BUS ports?

The idea is to eliminate ALL GAUGES in order to install two 12" chart plotters (Don't have room with the gauges in my console) and view all my engine and fuel information on either screen. According to Garmin, I can connect one J1939 cable and have that shared to the other screen via NMEA2000 and/or the Garmin Marine Network. Also, where would I connect the fuel sender lead...to the Yamaha multi-device hub? It looks like it's a different BUS type connector than the DEVICE type connector.

It is important to note that I already have a fully functioning NMEA2000 network in which my current 1243xsv is connected to...the second 7612xsv chart plotter will also be connected to this NMEA network.

So far, I have invested considerable time making these two diagrams:

HOW IT'S CURRENTLY RIGGED:
    2015 Key West 244CC Bluewater - Current Rigging.png

HOW I THINK IT SHOULD BE RIGGED TO CONNECT TO GARMIN:
    2015 Key West 244CC Bluewater - Proposed Rigging.png

Your proposed scheme
    (and the existing, for that matter)
    is much more complex than needed

According to Garmin, the Yamaha page will not be 'shared' via ethernet,
    each MFD needs it own J1939 connection -

so here is what you need to get the Yamaha page on both plotters:

Before the Garmins will properly display both engines,
    You may have to temporarily connect the two Yamaha tachs,
    in the same way:

and then follow the "Engine Number reset" procedure
    described in the CL gauge Owners Manual
    in order to identify one engine as port & the other starboard.

The fuel tank level is another matter entirely;
    without the Yamaha gauge present,
    there is nothing to connect the tank level sensor to;

in its absence,
    you could purchase and install a Garmin GFL-10 device
    which will 'translate' the tank sender resistance to NMEA 2000

Comment

Working...
    X