Need help whit the "automatic choke" on a F50 2000 model 4stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    its a two stage ckoke/primestart device.

one stage the round one, gets voltage from the stator to move the lever.

the square one gets a voltage though the thermoswitch,if hot or cold, and gets voltage when cranking.

then ya gotta have the dashpot and a couple other adjustments correct or your sunk.

like I said.
    its rube****berg at best and my neighbor has one.
    Looking at the wiring diagram posted I would like to know/understand how the thermoswitch is going to allow voltage hot or cold unless it is closed instead of open

Comment

I could easily explain this to you guys but believe it'll be best if you can figure it out on your own....I mean, how are you going to learn?.....Mean time, I'll just keep my old C90....good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Looking at the wiring diagram posted I would like to know/understand how the thermoswitch is going to allow voltage hot or cold unless it is closed instead of open
        Me too.

The accelerator pump stuff looks to be a cluster f___ as well.

If three parts are needed to accomplish a task then lets use ten times three seems to be Yams modus operandi.

Now just imagine one simple carburetor, having just one choke plate and an internal accelerator pump, feeding all four cylinders.

What is it with the Japs and their love of carburetors? I am surprised they don't use four separate fuel injection systems on the latest four cylinder F50's.

Too bad there is no throttle body fuel injection retrofit modification for some of the older carburetted models.

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          I could easily explain this to you guys but believe it'll be best if you can figure it out on your own....I mean, how are you going to learn?.....Mean time, I'll just keep my old C90....good luck!
          haha, cheers, thats not cruel at all

meanwhile i found a garage that can take the engien in tomorrow, just gotta drive 3 hours each way and one ferry ride....

but ill keep ya posted as soon as they say whats wrong

Comment

Seriously, good luck with your motor!....keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Now just imagine one simple carburetor, having just one choke plate and an internal accelerator pump, feeding all four cylinders.

What is it with the Japs and their love of carburetors? I am surprised they don't use four separate fuel injection systems on the latest four cylinder F50's.

Well, yes it certainly would be easier. But, its going to be more efficient (when working properly). My 600cc, 100 hp Yamaha motorcycle, Inline 4, is FI'ed, two, two barrel throttle bodies, water cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, overhead cams, etc...

My Yamaha FZ has less than half the displacement of a Harley (one carb, air cooled), twice the HP, almost 3 times the RPM limit, 14,000 RPM, about the same mileage, 47MPG's around town..

So with the advancements, comes the performance.

Dink with any machine incorrectly, you'll have issues...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-02-2015, 08:29 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Well, yes it certainly would be easier. But, its going to be more efficient (when working properly). My 600cc, 100 hp Yamaha motorcycle, Inline 4, is FI'ed, two, two barrel throttle bodies, water cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, overhead cams, etc...

My Yamaha FZ has less than half the displacement of a Harley (one carb, air cooled), twice the HP, almost 3 times the RPM limit, 14,000 RPM, about the same mileage, 47MPG's around town..

So with the advancements, comes the performance.

Dink with any machine incorrectly, you'll have issues...
                Why not four single throttle bodies? Five valves per cylinder. Twin variable camshaft timing. Direct injection. Nitrous oxide injection. Think of the extra performance.

And not to disparage your Yamaha motor cycle, as I have had two of them and they were good, with all of the added stuff on your bike, it is still not a Harley. It is just a rice burner.

In a motorcycle I might see the need for some gizmos for added performance. In an outboard motor, who's forte is supposed to be about reliability, I think not.

Comment

Adding more makes things less!
                  That usually means less weight, less fuel consumption, less pollutants.
                  With outboard motors weight is a prime factor, surprisingly by adding multiple components weight is reduced. You could not design and make a 50hp O/B lighter with only one carburettor etc!

Comment

Growing up in the 60s there was something I realized. All modified motors were worked on a lot more than factory motors.
                    Yes they had more HP and performance, but they were always breaking or being modified some more.

I never had the money to do mods very much so I was happy to have dependable transportation with stock stuff

Things have come a long way in the past 50 years and they hold up well too

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      Why not four single throttle bodies? Five valves per cylinder. Twin variable camshaft timing. Direct injection. Nitrous oxide injection. Think of the extra performance.

And not to disparage your Yamaha motor cycle, as I have had two of them and they were good, with all of the added stuff on your bike, it is still not a Harley. It is just a rice burner.

I had two Harleys, a 79 AMF 1200, Never pushed a motorcycle before that. I pushed that POS at least six times... It broke down riding to the dealership to get traded... Had an 01 Wide glide, Nice bike, but useless sitting in heavy traffic with an air cooled bike. Old technology, if you like to go slow, WON't get stuck in traffic, overweight great bike!! You forget, at LEAST 2/3 of that Harley is made in Japan or China... Look at their clothing crap, same thing..

Doesn't handle worth a $..t, EVERYONE has one. Most, MC wanna bee's..

I'd take my Yamaha any day of the week over a Harley.

I had three bikes at one point and sold all but this one as it IS my favorite. I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

BTW, I can easily afford to buy any HARLEY outright for cash, but don't want one.

Here's my old Wide Glide, single carb(no syncing carbs), air cooled;
                      Parked in front of the same garage as my rice burner;

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-02-2015, 10:46 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

Only time I tried riding a full dressed Harley was on a cop bike that was brought in to the shop I was working at in the middle 70s to get an inspection sticker.
                        It was like riding on and balancing a car split in half on 2 wheels.
                        Slow moving was a pain for someone used to smaller and lighter bikes.
                        Most like the sound they make I guess.
                        I dropped the M off of my drivers license many years ago
                        Too many people running into bikers say they did not see them
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 08-03-2015, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          Only time I tried riding a full dressed Harley was on a cop bike that was brought in to the shop I was working at in the middle 70s to get an inspection sticker.
                          It was like riding on and balancing a car split in half on 2 wheels.
                          Slow moving was a pain for someone used to smaller and lighter bikes.
                          Most like the sound they make I guess
                          Once your used to them, I was on motors for about a year(as a Police Officer) you can turn them very sharply with training. I took the advanced Police MC course and by the end of the day, could do the "iron cross", full lock circles dragging the frame literally to stay inside the cones, etc... They did a fair amount of sitting, cooling down as they got VERY, very hot, doing the slow speed maneuvers...

Most bikes nowadays, like marine engines, are FI'ed with overhead cams (the Harley twin cam has two cam's in the block with pushrods), overhead valves at least...

Slight thread de-rail to say the least, but just pointing out how far backwards you go, the less performance you get...
                          Scott

Comment

like I said, its a silly system.
                            its also a difficult system to set up correctly.
                            I think the procedure to properly link and sync the carbs and choke is about 6 pages long.

worst is when the untrained have taken a screwdriver and attacked every adjustment they can.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              like I said, its a silly system.
                              its also a difficult system to set up correctly.
                              I think the procedure to properly link and sync the carbs and choke is about 6 pages long.

worst is when the untrained have taken a screwdriver and attacked every adjustment they can.
                              ..... yeah, so anyways the boat is the the workshop.
                              crossing every fiber in my body its something easy adjustment/fix and its back on the water(and most of all, cheap, cheap fixes are great fixes :P )

Comment

Please post back how it works out for you...
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X