No announcement yet.

Torque settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only a fool would pay someone to test the stat, it will cost more for the time spent testing than a new one costs.
    DIY people test before throwing parts at a problem
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-23-2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      only a fool would pay someone to test the stat, it will cost more for the time spent testing than a new one costs.
      Over on THT folks give a vague description of what problem they think they might be having. Unknowing folks tell them precisely what to do to fix the problem. Parts are then thrown at the symptoms of a problem.

Every now and again a blind hog stumbles upon an acorn.

Comment

Boscoe, u de man, LOL.... I think in like 44 YRs of fixing I might have tested under 5-6 therms.. I have also drilled 100's of vent holes in therms for cars, trucks. Many auto engines have a vent port that yahoos just don't Get, understand. If hot water can't get to the therm it will not open !!! Anyway I always laugh at manuals,, sometimes due to translation issues as I speak Spanish I sea the the problem often. I don't have time to learn Japanese. Always thought it was funny, a Japanese person used to come up to a foreigner, bow down and say "Asshuu"

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          There is a lot of the world outside the US where parts prices are outrageous and labor is cheap. Think Cuba. They probably repair thermostats. Or just do without.

What works for many in the US won't work outside the US.

On a side note, over on tht folks are complaining about not getting a new motor when they want it. Folks in some places are complaining about not getting some food.

Comment

Installing new therms is general maintainace. I will not inspect a impeller. If I go that far into it, I'm replacing the impeller & wear plate..

Comment

Thermostats over here are about $40 (x2 equals $80). Yes they do fail but it takes awhile, some last many many years.
              It’s sometimes good to know if they are functioning as they were made. Surely a mechanic knows how to bring water up to the boil and just use their eyes , wouldn’t take long.

If we can’t be bothered to do a lot of simple but informative things then , for example, will we not bother checking batteries with a multimeter, to see it’s health and the health of the charging and electrical system, we simply change it at a whim!

So if my mechanic is pulling the leg off, surely he is doing this to determine whether the water pump is faulty first, before changing it. Your saying I should now expect him to not give me an to “how was the water pump?” and accept the answer “I dunno”?

This does raise the question what are they actually trained to do.
              Last edited by zenoahphobic; 05-25-2022, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Puff……is he really gone?

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  Puff……is he really gone?
                  The same guy that says “nobody reads service manuals” as if that is a fault. Then states he doesn’t bother to either on this thread. FFS!

Edit - he laughs at them.

Comment

You can't test a battery with a meter. You need a battery tester like the Snap ON EECS550A. This tells you the health of the battery. The meter tells you the voltage. Batteries have 3 year warranty. That is what the manufactures rate them for. After 3 years, you should test them properly for state of health using a proper tester that is rated for MCA. Trying to convert MCA to CCA and taking a shot is not the best action. Those cheap auto testers are a disaster.

Comment

I thought the op was asking about torque settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X