Torque settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque settings

F70A (2019) I'm struggling to find the torque settings for my thermostat housing. I've got the service manual, but it doesn't help. Is there any Yamaha torque setting bible I should be getting?

Typically on the last page in Section 1 of the Service Manual
    following the charts of torque for identified fasteners,
    is a small chart entitled "General Tightening Torque"
    for any fastener that is not specifically called out
    in the prior listings, or elsewhere in the manual

Comment

INSTALL the small 8-10 mm bolts with a good grease. I use Triple guard myself. You don't need a torque spec for gods sake. I have a snap on inch lbs. Torque wrench I never use it for the simple fact with small stuff you get the "feel" for it. Snug, firm but not Caveman over tight...
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks fairdeal, I'd seen that but I was expecting a specific setting for the housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Allen View Post
          Thanks fairdeal, I'd seen that but I was expecting a specific setting for the housing.
          Right or wrong Yam service manuals are written for mechanics with some degree of Yamaha basic training. They fail to include every possible thing that might be needed.

Comment

What a Yamaha mechanic might do is to go and see what other models use the same thermostat housing cover and attach bolts. He might then look in other service manuals to see if the torque values are specified for those particular bolts in that particular application.

Which I have just done for you. Lo and behold, the F25LA service manual gives you exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

I use a 1/4 inch ratchet and hold it with one hand …..just a very nice snug is fine….

Comment

Never ending question, that is when to use a torque wrench.

It is fair to say very few people use one for bolts below about 10mm. And who uses one on screw heads - ordinary screws?

It’s a feel thing because smaller threads tend to offer ********g resistance.

But most of all, it’s time and convenience, imagine using a torque wrench on every bolt and screw! It’s one where the rules are ignored in practice.

Comment

If I ever have to remove/replace the cylinder head then I would definitely invest in a good quality torque wrench…..I mean there’s places for this type of precision….

Comment

I have the F40LA and the thermostat bolts are a 2 stage torque. My service manual notes 4.4 lb. ft. as the first stage. this ensures that the gasket is firmly set in place. then, the second stage of 8.9 lb. ft. I would set your torque wrench to 85 ft. lb. so you do not overtighten much when it clicks. A digital torque wrench rated for low torque is ideal here. I use the Snap ON ATECH 240 rated for 240 inch pounds (1-20 lb. ft.). That housing will crack if overtightened and apply a VERY light amount of grease to the threads since grease will skew torque specs. The manual does not call for grease or any thread locker. If you grease them, apply 85% of the second stage (7.5-8 lb. ft.). That manual assumes that you clean the bolt threads, check the mating threads and ensure they are clean and torque dry with a bolt that is not damaged or deformed. Otherwise, it is assumed you will use new bolts.

Comment

I guess we all make mistakes while typing...85 ft.lb ??

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                        I guess we all make mistakes while typing...85 ft.lb ??
                        And that’s why bolts are sometimes broken as well

Comment

It was a typo. 8.5 lbs.-ft. for stage 2. the Snap On 240 ATECH gets this done. Use a quality calibrated digital torque wrench, with clean bolts with a little grease applied. Combine this with cleaning the mating surfaces and you will not have an issue as long as the bolt threads are in good condition and the bolts are not damaged. The digital wrench only has a total capability of 20 lbs.& 8.5 lbs.-ft. is only 43% of its total capability.
                          Last edited by byron.akhavi@gmail.com; 05-22-2022, 09:54 PM. Reason: Typed the 2nd stage setting incorrectly.

Comment

Be Advised, when using grease or oil. The T setting needs to be lwr.. Uh, ck out ARP tech support or read up on it
                            therm housing on yammys is light. The major issue is to not break them when removing..only a fool would test a therm... F-ing replace with new..

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                              ..only a fool would test a therm... F-ing replace with new..

And yet Yamaha goes to the trouble to put this section in every single Service Manual...

Comment

Working...
                              X