No announcement yet.

Upper shift rod replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry but it's not the balancer that I wanted to remove but the flange that the balancer is attached to . The shift rod hits the bottom of this flange . So do I need to remove the balancer first than the flange under it. Is there some bolts under the balancer holding the flange ?. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

I'm sorry but it's mot the balancer that I need to remove but the flange that the balancer is attached to . The shift rod hits the flange when lifted vertical so it needs to be removed. Do I need to remove the balancer first than remove the flange under it? . Thanks for your help.
      Bob

Comment

Looks like the crankcase itself your looking at:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...er-crankcase-1

Capture.JPG

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if it is the crankcase he wants to get out of the way, in my opinion it would be better to just pull the powerhead instead of splitting the crankcase.
          what are the thoughts of others?

Comment

Which part are you calling the power head. Is it what the balancer is attached to?

Comment

Originally posted by Flfishingbob View Post
              Which part are you calling the power head. Is it what the balancer is attached to?
              The part the balancer bolts to IS part of the crankcase (AKA powerhead, Engine)...

And agree with 99, I'd pull the powerhead before pulling the crankcase apart..

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

OK I understand .Do I have to pull the balancer before removing the power head ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flfishingbob View Post
                  OK I understand .Do I have to pull the balancer before removing the power head ?
                  No.
                  Remove the lower unit.
                  Then tilt the motor down,
                  disconnect the battery cables, control cables,
                  control & gauge wiring, and fuel line, and carbon canister vapor line
                  Unplug the switches where the shift lever slides.
                  Remove the t/t motor leads from the relay,
                  unplug the trim sender lead and cowling t/t switch lead.
                  Remove the dipstick.
                  Disconnect the flush and telltale hoses.
                  Remove the plastic aprons.
                  Get your hoist & lifting chains in place,
                  then remove the 15 bolts shown in Post #6

Lift away.
                  You'll need a new gasket to re-install
                  https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/63P-11351-03-00

Comment

Wow .That's a lot of work just for removing a shift rod. Looking at post 15 with the balancer removed .It looks like you could remove the bolts on the sides and top of the part ( power head ?) the balancer is mounted on. Is that possiable ? I just have to remove that part to get the shift rod up.

Comment

no that will not work

Comment

On a radio call this when you hear "OH MY" way over ur head buddy. I think u need to hire a marine mechanic.. SORRY, your not qualified for this task.
                        not being rude. But obviously don't know what your doing. Hey,, I've got all kinds of drills and pliers and such
                        you want some free dental work ?? I'm editing to say as a fellow life long boater having run boats from PANAMA to Alaska, something's need to be done by the guy that does it daily. No disrespect to you SIR.... Capt K
                        Last edited by Keithbaja; 03-05-2022, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X