Upper shift rod replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper shift rod replacement

My upper shift rod needs replacement due to corrosion and it will not select F,N,R . The only way to remove it is to remove the intake manifold and than the crank case head. I removed all the bolts holding the head . Now how do I get the head to come off. I don't want to force it. Is there some way to pop it up that I don't see.

Do you know the brand and model of the motor?

Comment

Hi, I only deal with higher HP motors. 100 or more for that type of work. The pwr head has alot of different size and length bolts. When all are out the pwr head really easy pulls up. DO NOT PRY or FORCE. I always also recommend remove the gearcase first. Take your time and carefully look at all bolts. Seldom are there nuts. Its sorta tricky your first time. Patience and good brite flashlight (coast flashlights best)and a real yammy service manual. Not Seloc, Haynes, Chilton's, billybobs...good luck, u will get er done. No rushing tho

Comment

Thanks guys for your help. I have a Yamaha 2019 F150 XB. So far I have removed 14 bolts and will look closely for more. Will update my findings
        Last edited by Flfishingbob; 02-25-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

have you removed the lower unit as was mentioned above?
          sometimes the drive shaft can rust into the crank binding things up

Comment

Originally posted by Flfishingbob View Post
            So far I have removed 14 bolts
            One more to go

Comment

that was confusing,
              took a couple of looks to understand those 2s ,3s, & 4s

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                that was confusing,
                took a couple of looks to understand those 2s ,3s, & 4s
                same here.
                "3"s are clearly longest,
                and I guess "2"s are different from "4"s

Comment

My upper shift rod needs replacement due to corrosion and it will not select F,N,R . The only way to remove it is to remove the intake manifold and than the crank case head. I removed all the bolts holding the head . Now how do I get the head to come off. I don't want to force it. Is there some way to pop it up that I don't see.
                  Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't he trying to remove the head, not the crankcase?

With that said, the head's on the "rear" of the engine and the linkages below the area of the balancer, no?
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Looks like you guys are posting to lift the engine .I was attempting to take off the forward cover . I posted some pictures with the bolts removed . There were 5 on each side and two longer ones on the top and bottom. I thought it would come loose but no dice. Is there something I don't see or going the wrong way . The shift rod hits the cover ,with removed it will come straight up ??? Getting confused and don't want to force anything. Not able to load pictures ,over 2 meg.

Comment

I guess we thought you were calling the power head the crankcase head for some reason

I am not sure what a crankcase head is

or a forward cover

Comment

Are you referring to the part that goes on the block here?

Scott

Comment

Yes that is it. I got some pictures but yours show it a lot better. The only difference is that it has the 5 bolts on the side and two longer ones on top and bottom. I got all the bolts out ,How did you remove it . Did you pry it some how? Is there something else to remove?. Thanks for the help.
                          Bob

Comment

I believe that would be the balancer assembly #26

Yamaha Outboard 150HP OEM Parts Diagram for Cylinder Crankcase 1 | Boats.net

Comment

Yes that is it. I got some pictures but yours show it a lot better. The only difference is that it has the 5 bolts on the side and two longer ones on top and bottom. I got all the bolts out ,How did you remove it . Did you pry it some how? Is there something else to remove?. Thanks for the help.
                              Bob
                              There are two alignment pins as I re-call. There is no gasket but gray gasket sealer which may be holding you up.

There is also a procedure to re-install the balancer with the crank for correct timing(not difficult).

All the bolts around the perimeter are it (at least on my '06 F150).

My new balancer right before install:

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X