2003 Yamaha 9.9hp help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha 9.9hp help

I am hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. I have a 2003 Yamaha 9.9hp outboard engine. I changed the impeller on the engine and when lowering the lower unit I moved the shifter into reverse to gain better access to the nut to disconnect. After replacing the impeller I reconnected the cable and connected the lower unit back to the engine. I then tried putting the engine back to neutral and it felt like it was stuck. I forced the shifter and broke what looks like a plastic piece that connects to a shaft.

Can you help me find this replacement part as well as give me instructions on how to get out of gear and get this part replaced.

Thanks,

Ken
    Attached Files

What is the complete model identity of the motor. Looks more like a four stroke than a two stroke.

Comment

You are correct. It is a 4 stroke.

The model numberis F 9.9ELRC

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Go here and look at the illustrations labeled bottom cowling, control 1 and control 2. You should be able to find the needed part(s) there.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...LRC/parts.html

Remove the lower unit again and shift it into reverse gear.

Remove and replace the broken parts with new parts.

Shift the motor into reverse gear. Reinstall the lower unit and make the connection with the control in reverse and the lower unit in reverse.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 07-12-2015, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Can you please add the link?

Thanks again.

Comment

Oops. Stupid is as stupid does. Link added.

Comment

thank you.

It appears that the piece I broke is:

Outboard CONTROL 2 Diagram :
              13 HANDLE, GEAR SHIFT

ER
              6G8-44159-00-00

Any idea how this part can be removed? Can I gently pry this out and slide the replacement in its place? It appears if it will slide out It may not be that bad to replace.

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to working on outboard engines and trying to determine if I can handle this repair.

Would a service manual show the actual steps for replacing this part?

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X