Yamaha 70 two-stroke tilt cylinder seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 70 two-stroke tilt cylinder seal

Hoping to get some feedback on this - I have just noticed that the seal on the tilt cylinder isn't seated properly (pictures refer). Just wondering whether anyone here has any experience in replacing one. Trying to decide if it's a do-it-myself job or a workshop job and whether this can be easily fixed or if it;s going to be a strip-down. Any input would be appreciated.

Engine is a 2001(?) 70 2 stroke with about 500 hours.

lot of rust on that cap/scraper, may have to replace the cap.
    depends on how it cleans up,
    not sure how that got to that condition
    getting that cap to unscrew may be a problem.
    having the right tools are needed

Comment

Overall, things look pretty clean so my bet is that the cap will come easy enough - but use the proper spanner wrench adapter. Google will help you there. You can use a punch and a hammer into the holes, but it buggers the holes up. Once you remove everything, you'll know if the rust from the spring has caused anymore damage. I've only ever done this by removing the whole trim/tilt assembly (takes about 30 minutes). But, maybe you could do it in place - but it's probably going to be awkward trying to pull the tilt ram out, if there's even enough clearance.

The trim ram caps pop right off without removing the ram - but you can see why the tilt cap won't.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Oh - just to add - there are lots of videos out there on this procedure. It's relatively straight forward, but don't get caught up looking for YOUR particular engine - it's all pretty much the same. Just know that when you take the piston out there are lot's of tiny parts - look up parts diagrams to get an idea... either in a service manual (that you should really have if doing this) or online like at the link above at the top of this page.

Comment

YAMAHA MODIFIED TILT CYLINDER WRENCH - CAP SEAL REMOVAL TOOL spanner TILT-YMOD FSM054

Regular price$45.00

Actually the photo you posted is a trim cylinder, not the tilt cylinder. Just wanted to make sure you knew that before you ordered the new seal.
          I looked at my 04, 70 the best I could and the spanner holes on both Trim and Tilt appear to be the same distance apart. would not however bet my life on it.
          Last edited by JDDsdogs; 01-12-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDDsdogs View Post
            YAMAHA MODIFIED TILT CYLINDER WRENCH - CAP SEAL REMOVAL TOOL spanner TILT-YMOD FSM054

Regular price$45.00

Actually the photo you posted is a trim cylinder, not the tilt cylinder. Just wanted to make sure you knew that before you ordered the new seal.
            I looked at my 04, 70 the best I could and the spanner holes on both Trim and Tilt appear to be the same distance apart. would not however bet my life on it.
            FYI, he posted the correct photo. The second photo ALSO has the trim cylinders in the pic.

Yes, the the same spanner should fit both tilt and trim caps.

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick feedback. I have had a look at some of the videos on YouTube and I have recently got myself a service manual. Just finally - the videos I've seen remove all three pistons. Is it possible to do this job while leaving the trim cylinders in place?

I appreciate all the helpful replies for my first post on here!

Comment

Looks like the tilt cylinder to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fta_pete View Post
                  Thanks so much for the quick feedback. I have had a look at some of the videos on YouTube and I have recently got myself a service manual. Just finally - the videos I've seen remove all three pistons. Is it possible to do this job while leaving the trim cylinders in place?

I appreciate all the helpful replies for my first post on here!
                  As I eluded to above, the trim caps... yes. I've never tried the tilt cap by itself... for the reasons I mentioned above (access and small parts). Also as I mentioned, it's really not all that hard or time consuming to just remove the assembly.

Comment

also you need to think about taking the tilt ram apart (not just out) to get that new scraper/seals onto the shaft without damaging the shaft seal surface

Comment

OP = "I have just noticed that the seal on the tilt cylinder isn't seated properly (pictures refer)"

DennisG01;
                      I too noted he had the correct photo, just that the cylinder in the photo with the bad seal was a trim cylinder rather than a tilt cylinder. Again, just wanted to make sure he ordered the correct part. I have gone back to parts to check, the dust seals for the two different cylinders are different part numbers
                      I see looking more carefully at the photo that it is indeed a tilt cylinder that has the bad seal. My bad!.
                      Last edited by JDDsdogs; 01-13-2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDDsdogs

On the trim cylinder, there is no connection on the end of the shaft. Can you not slide the "screw, trim cylinder end" (screwed on end cap) off over the end of the shaft, replace the seal and slide it back over the shaft and screw it back onto the cylinder? I've never done one before, so I'm asking rather than making a statement.
                        you need to have your eyes checked if you think that pic with the bad scraper is of a trim cylinder and not the tilt cylinder.
                        maybe look at both pics if the 1st is not good enough to ID it for you

Comment

I really do need to have my eyes checked but I can clearly see that it is the tilt cylinder. Just like the OP says.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              I really do need to have my eyes checked but I can clearly see that it is the tilt cylinder. Just like the OP says.

you know I was not talking about/to you boscoe ,right?

Comment

Working...
                              X