Oil leaking from cracked drain plug? 2006 F115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leaking from cracked drain plug? 2006 F115

Recently noticed a very slow oil leak from the drain plug after an oil change. I got a new drain plug and washer, reinstalled. Same problem. So drained oil again, took a good look up at the threads and notice this tiny crack (in pic). Guessing maybe I had overtightened the drain plug at some point to cause this?

Thinking the options are to swap the oil pan...OR reinstall drain plug forever with some type of sealant and vacuum oil out for remainder of its service life?

Is this the right idea? What type of sealant would you guys use on the drain bolt threads? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I highly doubt you caused that problem since the drain plug is not tapered so it wouldn't exert excessive outward pressure on the threads. Could be a defect. But the reason is a moot point...

Whether or not a sealant works and for how long, may depend on how far up that crack extends. But, yeah, you could goop it up and probably stop the leak. An adhesive caulk like LifeCaulk... even something more drastic like 5200 or MarineTex. The trick is going to be getting the area clean enough. Just don't use so much "stuff" that you push the stuff into the oil pan.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

replace the pan and then suck the oil out in the future to keep from messing with that drain plug

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

Whether or not a sealant works and for how long, may depend on how far up that crack extends. But, yeah, you could goop it up and probably stop the leak. An adhesive caulk like LifeCaulk... even something more drastic like 5200 or MarineTex. The trick is going to be getting the area clean enough. Just don't use so much "stuff" that you push the stuff into the oil pan.
        With the engine tilted up, no oil will come out, even if the crankcase is full...

A little brake cleaner should work fine on the threads with an ear cleaner, etc...

I'd use the Yamabond #4 case sealer on that plug. I've used it on leaky drain plugs-No issues..

Capture.JPG
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Cleaned it up really well and took a closer look. It's not a crack all the way through threads, but a burr on the outside of threads where washer should sit. Must've got a piece of gunk in between nut and oil pan...

Going to try the Yamabond #4 and see if oil stays! Thanks for feedback!

Comment

I want to say that I've seen a tool that can cut/clean the mating surface? I'm not sure what it's called and/or if it will work in this situation, but maybe someone else can clarify?
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

You could use some of Rodbolt’s magical Loctite 518. Seals against oil and fuel and the plug could be removed in the future without any additional effort. It’s not an adhesive, just a gasket maker. Permabond makes the same thing, called Anaerobic Gasket Maker. Most auto parts stores sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                I want to say that I've seen a tool that can cut/clean the mating surface? I'm not sure what it's called and/or if it will work in this situation, but maybe someone else can clarify?
                A piloted counterbore..

Comment

An update would be nice...

I suspect it (Yamabond) worked as he hasn't been back...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                  X