Engine won’t shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine won’t shut down

Hello, new to me Yamaha 60 (2020 manufacture date) installed on a 2008 rib.

Had the boat about a month was running great but now won’t shut off, kill switch doesn’t
    work either.
    I have replaced the key ignition switch/kill shut off the problem still remains.

Thanks!

need to check on the ground wire that the key switch and kill switch uses to ground out the spark voltage to kill motor,
    but I have no idea if turning the key off should shut off fuel pumps or what kind of ignition system that 60 has.
    might give a complete model motor number so Boscoe and see what motor it closely resembles here in the USA.
    since you put it on a rib I am thinking you and the motor are not in the USA

Comment

Is this a four stroke F60? Full model identity would help. Complete engine ID would be even better.

Are you in or out of the US?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        need to check on the ground wire that the key switch and kill switch uses to ground out the spark voltage to kill motor,
        but I have no idea if turning the key off should shut off fuel pumps or what kind of ignition system that 60 has.
        might give a complete model motor number so Boscoe and see what motor it closely resembles here in the USA.
        since you put it on a rib I am thinking you and the motor are not in the USA
        Folks are more secretive about their motor models than their bank accounts.

Comment

I’ll get the exact model number I bought the boat used from a guy in TN, it’s a 2008 Novurania, repowered with a new 2020 Yamaha 60hp. Sill under a 3 year factory warranty.
          I was just trying my own trouble shooting and swapped out the ignition/kill switch.
          Yes the boat is in the USA.

Comment

so I would think it would be a 2020 F60 if in the US unless someone bought elsewhere
            Last edited by 99yam40; 10-03-2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              so I would think it would be a 2020 F60 if in the US unless someone bought elsewhere
              Yes I believe that’s the model number, on the road traveling for work right now but I am 90% sure that’s it.

Comment

It should be unable to make a spark (and so stop) with the kill switch out.

The kill switch works by literally grounding the spark to the case.

Does the kill switch have it's gorund wire properly attached. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Melville View Post
                  It should be unable to make a spark (and so stop) with the kill switch out.

The kill switch works by literally grounding the spark to the case.

Does the kill switch have it's gorund wire properly attached. ?
                  It looks to me that the kill switch is just a jumper to the ignition switch?
                  They are part of a small panel/component that I replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie289 View Post

It looks to me that the kill switch is just a jumper to the ignition switch?
                    They are part of a small panel/component that I replaced.
                    It is.

Time to see if the ground is making its way to the kill switch and ignition switch. Time to go the motor to see if the ground applied to the white wire by the ignition switch and/or the kill switch is making its way down the ten pin harness. To the connector. If so, then see if the ground is making its way to the ECU.

Comment

Thank you very much, I’ll try to trace that when I get back to the boat later this week.

Comment

Ok found the issue (sort of) white wire connector from boat at the motor seems to be the fault. I opened the connector, closed it now key shuts off motor. Feels like a good solid connection but will replace it at some point. There are only two wires that leave the connector a white and a blue.

Comment

Wrong white wire.

See the diagram again.

Comment

OP, should be the 10 pin connector,
                            not sure what connector you are talking about with only 2 wires in it

Comment

I’ll check again, there is a 4 pin connector with only a white and black coming out of it, that’s the one that I was able to move to get the ignition switch and kill switch to operate normally.

It looks like some type of “pigtail” connection
                              Last edited by Brownie289; 10-12-2021, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X