F225A charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225A charging

Looking at the wiring diagrams, the R/R appears to have 2 outputs, RED and RED/YELLOW, The RED/YELLOW changes color to RED at a inline plug. Both have a 30 amp fuse and both eventually connect to the starting motor solenoid.

Is this just a redundant charging system for the starting motor battery?

Given the fact the RED wire from the R/R prior to the 30 amp fuse also supplies a 20 amp fuse to feed the main relay can it be removed from the solenoid and fed to the house batteries?

The diagram appears to have some sort of in line connection detail, however it does not look like a plug, any ideas as to what this actually is?

THANKS

I thought we already plowed this earth?

Comment

Bosco.... i think we have as well except i am wondering if any harm would be done only having a single charging leg to the battery via the solenoid and start cable?...
      being a engineer, i tend to think the original designers had motive to do what they did.

just being cautious,,
      thanks

Comment

the only "harm" would be that you would potentially have less amps available to charge the "starting" battery
        because you were using some of the finite output to charge the "house battery".

That is unlikely to be a problem,
        because as pictured earlier in the thread,
        in later years THE SAME ENGINEERS removed the second lead from the starter.

and let it lay unused at the bottom of the cowling.

Comment

My old Mercury came with two regulators connected together. 40 amps total capacity to one battery.

A procedure is shown in their SM how to disconnect the two so that one supplies just the house battery and the other supplies just a second battery. Each supplying 20 amps.

I just left them connected and let my combiner take care of the two batteries, each according to its own need.

The Yamaha setup on the first F225 model appears to be a two in one set up.

I like the combiner. Simpler, cheaper, less parts, just as effective. I ran it with my 2007 F200 instead of using the Yam isolater lead.

Comment

just as effective, certainly.
            cheaper? I don't know -
            I didn't spring for the "official Yamaha charging lead" -
            just cut off the connector and spliced in enough wire to get to the house battery
            that was inexpensive

though later when I installed a "shore power" charger, I DID have to buy a "2 bank" model...

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
              just as effective, certainly.
              cheaper? I don't know -
              I didn't spring for the "official Yamaha charging lead" -
              just cut off the connector and spliced in enough wire to get to the house battery
              that was inexpensive

though later when I installed a "shore power" charger, I DID have to buy a "2 bank" model...
              Combiner is about 90 bucks. Yam lead lists for 160. But, it does have a fuse at each end.

Combiner installs in five minutes. Yam lead wil take rodbolt an hour to get it snaked through a rigging grommet and tube.

Combiner works just as well with a shore powered battery charger. Yam lead won't.

I can't think of a negative about the combiner but if one is really cheap a hardwire will be less expensive. Might make the motor tougher to sell but..

Comment

hahahaa an anganeer .

I am a simple tech. I do have a tad more training than most techs.
                and YEARS more ACTUAL experience than most any anganeer.
                think
                as an anganeer why are you asking field techs??????

aint the anganeers supposed to tell US whats going on?????

but yes you only need a 10 Ga wire, a 50 amp inline fuse and your done.
                no kombiners jiggy whiners or sheet.

however I aint an anganeer.

the ISOLATOR is already built into your motor.
                same as all US market V6 motors since about 1990.

Comment

RodBolt.... I have built a reasonable practice using a lot of good tips from Tech's i really work hard at not being educated beyond my intelligence. if i could get a local tech to make the house call it would be my first choice. however Wifey want to be on the water.. and what Wifey wants.......

ohh there already is a wire thru the grommet & flex sleeve so Rod doesn't have to do the grunt work...

hopefully the previous YaHoo's who worked on these hasn't FUBARed any thing else.

thanks for the help ..
                  i am sure i will be back w/ more???

Comment

Working...
                  X