No announcement yet.

Oil transfer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took pictures of bearing pieces in the oil sump and sitting on the powerhead adapter instead.
    A quote from Rodbolt... above post. The proof he submitted to the RTA folks
    Many technical specs refer to using tin snips for opening up an oil filter to avoid contamination of metal filings for diagnosis .. Not my preferred way, but what you said (Boscoe) the desk jockey knows not who he is talking too, sooo the evidence he is looking for to warrant an expensive repair must be clear and concise ..The best way for a clean cut is tin snips..which by the way is not a big deal.

Comment

If I ran a marine maintenance business I would prefer having a filter cutter over tin snips, if I had to choose between the two.

Now on to the use of tools, if appropriate to cut a filter open with snips is it acceptable to cut tin with a filter cutter?

I will soon be 67. Been in maintenance all of my life. It just never crossed my mind to use tin snips to open an oil filter. And I have left hand snips, right hand snips, and straight snips.

Comment

This if what I was referring to before in a chain tubing cutter.
        Question, does the metal collect on the inside of the filter medium or the outside when flowing contaminated oil through the filter?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

This if what I was referring to before in a chain tubing cutter.
          Question, does the metal collect on the inside of the filter medium or the outside when flowing contaminated oil through the filter?
          I seem to recall that flow is from outside to inside.

EAA Video Player - Your Source for Aviation Videos

Comment

Only oil filter I ever opened up was when one was stuck so bad I had to drive a screw driver threw it to get enough leverage to get it to turn,
            Everything else was just collapsing it.
            Apparently someone put the adapter into the block with something that screwed up the threads the filter screwed onto. The adapter came out with the filter.

After watching that video, seems like Yamaha should be telling their techs to use the proper tools and sell them to them labeled as Yamaha at 4 times the price

I think that cutter I showed would work well too

Comment

There is much more filter media around the outside of the filter so makes perfect sense

Comment

Working...
              X