Could this be an issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be an issue?

Had a voltage drop issue for a few years. Threw a few bandaids at it and kept sailing. Got mad a couple weeks ago when I had to cancel a trip due to no start. Spent the rest of day stripping all 16 year old power cables from boat. Replacements on the way. Finally got around to dissection of old cables today. Hmmm.

are we looking at burnt off insulation
    or 6 strands of the wire broken because someone nicked them when stripping the insulation to connect the lug?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      are we looking at burnt off insulation
      or 6 strands of the wire broken because someone nicked them when stripping the insulation to connect the lug?
      The tips were green and rotten. Could be that they were nicked when connections was made and that accelerated the issue. Other green funk in the remaining strands. Interesting the builder did not use tinned wire.

Comment

Try a small can of that Liquid Electrical Tape….paint it on your cables and wires to protect from water and corrosion…..good stuff!

Comment

If you want to make a marine batt cable that lasts. Start with "ANCHOR" brand wire & Lugs. Fill lug with "OMC TRIPIE GUARD" grease. Use a lever type crimper and crimp twice. Finish up with heat shrink. If u used enough grease a tiny bit should squeeze out from the heat shrink. Also make sure you use the correct size cable. Its hard to go oversize. I use fisheries supply Seattle. Or worst marine if in a pinch. I recommend battery trays over boxes. Tighter & cleaner installation with no gassing issue
          Last edited by Keithbaja; 09-19-2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
            If you want to make a marine batt cable that lasts. Start with "ANCHOR" brand wire & Lugs. Fill lug with "OMC TRIPIE GUARD" grease. Use a lever type crimper and crimp twice. Finish up with heat shrink. If u used enough grease a tiny bit should squeeze out from the heat shrink. Also make sure you use the correct size cable. Its hard to go oversize. I use fisheries supply Seattle. Or worst marine if in a pinch. I recommend battery trays over boxes. Tighter & cleaner installation with no gassing issue
            I ordered them all including the heat shrink with the goo inside. Fisheries Supply is great. They have all sorts of hard to find stuff. Reminds me of Aircraft Spruce. The ends to battery were the worst off. Guessing the battery vapors did more than salt.

Comment

Working...
            X