Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

s200txrx shift cam assembly is frozen(?).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s200txrx shift cam assembly is frozen(?).

Hello,
    First of all my SX200TXRX turns out to be a S200TXRX. The plate on the motor says SX but this has carbs. At any rate I replaced the water pumps as was advised by this forum and got the starboard engine fired up. The port engine's lower unit going back together took a couple of tries but it did go together without forcing it. It also fired up. The problem is it will not shift into fwd or reverse. I took the lower unit off and the motor linkage is fine. The shift cam assy does not budge. Ideas?

Put a set of padded jaw pliers on the shift cam assembly and while rotating the propeller try and find neutral. Then, with the shift handle in neutral reinstall the lower unit.

If you cannot get the lower unit into neutral then something is hosed within the lower unit. Not sure why that would be if it was working just fine before removal but...

Comment

boscoe99 the prop shaft and drive shaft both turn. It is the shift cam assembly that will not budge.

Comment

Originally posted by metroman View Post
        boscoe99 the prop shaft and drive shaft both turn. It is the shift cam assembly that will not budge.
        he told you to turn the shift shaft, did you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

he told you to turn the shift shaft, did you do that?
          Yes. That was frozen. I let it soak overnight in nut buster. By leaning the unit forward the penetrating oil pooled around the shifter shaft. I was able to pull it out of the lower unit this morning easily but it still will not shift into fwd or revs. I have now filled the unit with a couple of inches of penetrating oil. After watching a couple of you tube vids I understand whats next if this doesn't work freeing things up. This boat was well taken care of until the owner died and It sat for two years. After posting here you all advised changing water pump kits etc... . The old impellers were soft and not cracked. After bypassing the fuel system and feeding fresh gas directly into the carbs both motors fired right up, oil into the cylinders first, etc... ,(ever though the plate on the motors have theses as SX200TXRX's it has carbs.) So if it frees up I will fill with oil and break it in gently and then change to see what it looks like. Anyway that's the plan for now.

Comment

If the lower unit won't shift while it is not installed on the motor then I would suspect something has gone awry in the lower unit.

Pull the bearing carrier and guts, remove the shift cam assembly for an inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              If the lower unit won't shift while it is not installed on the motor then I would suspect something has gone awry in the lower unit.

Pull the bearing carrier and guts, remove the shift cam assembly for an inspection.
              I was a little hesitant because of the special tools involved. I'll have to fool with it tomorrow. Thanks for the help boscoe99. I will update progress.

Comment

Originally posted by metroman View Post

Yes. That was frozen. I let it soak overnight in nut buster. By leaning the unit forward the penetrating oil pooled around the shifter shaft. I was able to pull it out of the lower unit this morning easily but it still will not shift into fwd or revs. I have now filled the unit with a couple of inches of penetrating oil. After watching a couple of you tube vids I understand whats next if this doesn't work freeing things up. This boat was well taken care of until the owner died and It sat for two years. After posting here you all advised changing water pump kits etc... . The old impellers were soft and not cracked. After bypassing the fuel system and feeding fresh gas directly into the carbs both motors fired right up, oil into the cylinders first, etc... ,(ever though the plate on the motors have theses as SX200TXRX's it has carbs.) So if it frees up I will fill with oil and break it in gently and then change to see what it looks like. Anyway that's the plan for now.
                Pulling the shift shaft out of the lower unit is not a good thing to do.
                I do not think you will be able to get it back into the proper place without taking the lower unit apart.

But it sounds like that is needed anyway, because something has rusted up in there

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Pulling the shift shaft out of the lower unit is not a good thing to do.
                  I do not think you will be able to get it back into the proper place without taking the lower unit apart.

But it sounds like that is needed anyway, because something has rusted up in there
                  The shift shaft go in and out no problem but still locked up as far as shifting out of neutral. I am going to look for rebuilt or new.

Comment

Working...
                  X