Need some help troubleshooting 2 non-responsive gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help troubleshooting 2 non-responsive gauges

I have a Yamaha 115 connected to my Garmin EchoMap Plus 74sv via Yamaha Gateway Kit (NMEA 2000 ). This integration was installed in 2019 and has been working well until this morning when the trim/tilt indicator and the oil psi indicator were non-responsive. The tilt indicator was showing the engine was in a neutral trim, and the oil psi was at zero. The actual tilt mechanism on the engine worked fine, and the engine itself ran fine. All the other gauges were working as they normally do. I'm assuming it's either a Garmin issue or a connection issue somewhere, but I'm at a loss on where to start tracking this down. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Doug.CedarKey View Post
    I have a Yamaha 115 connected to my Garmin EchoMap Plus 74sv via Yamaha Gateway Kit (NMEA 2000 ). This integration was installed in 2019 and has been working well until this morning when the trim/tilt indicator and the oil psi indicator were non-responsive. The tilt indicator was showing the engine was in a neutral trim, and the oil psi was at zero. The actual tilt mechanism on the engine worked fine, and the engine itself ran fine. All the other gauges were working as they normally do. I'm assuming it's either a Garmin issue or a connection issue somewhere, but I'm at a loss on where to start tracking this down. Any help would be appreciated.
    I suspect that you have an F115. F as in Four stroke.

I am flummoxed as to the oil pressure indicator previously having been working well. The F115 does not output oil pressure.

When you say "all the other gauges were working as they normally do" is one of those gauges a trim meter? You cannot have an analog trim meter and an NMEA trim meter connected at the same time.

Comment

You are correct, it is an F115, four stroke.
      All the gauges I reference in the orig post are what are displayed on the Garmin via the NMEA data stream. Water temp, fuel remaining, fuel burn rate, trim, etc. I assumed that the psi gauge was for oil. It isn't labeled, so maybe it is water pressure? Clearly, I'm no expert.

Comment

I am wondering if it may be bad sensors... Very strange that two would fail simultaneously tho.

Comment

Very unusual for two completely different systems to go on the fritz at the same time.

Let's start with the trim. Assumption being the only trim indication is via the MFD.

Do you know of the two pink wires on the engine that have to be connected for the trim to be displayed on an MFD? Are they connected?

If so, tilt the motor fully up so that you can gain access to the trim sender. Is the trim sender working as it is supposed to? That is, can it move freely? With the key on, and the MFD on, move the arm on the sender and see if the display on the gauge follows the sender.

Is the trim cam securely tightened in place?

Comment

Data comes from the engine ECU. If you are getting RPM and other information I would not suspect a connection issue.

Comment

Water pressure requires that an optional sensor be installed on the motor. Do you know if you had one installed?

Comment

boscoe99, first, thank you so much for your help. I am a real neophyte on this technology, and a really appreciate your help.

My boat is in a rack at the marina, and I'm tied up all day tomorrow. I will chase down your queries re the trim on Monday.

As far as the optional water pressure sensor, the only optional sensor I had installed was for fuel flow. So I guess I'm at a loss as to what pressure we are measuring. I'll dig for more detail on that on Monday as well and report my findings.

FYI, I also have a tough time buying the notion of coincidence playing a part here. I wonder about actions such as someone at the marina removing the engine cover to check the engine oil and banged it around enough to knock something loose. Things like that...

Comment

Boscoe99,
                  It appears there is an issue with the tilt sending unit. We can cause the tilt level indicator on the Garmin display to move by using a finger to press on the sending unit arm. It appears that the spring is not keeping the arm in contact with the engine as it moves through the tilt cycle. A new trim sender will be installed.

The other non-working gauge remains a mystery. The icon on the display doesn't look familiar to anyone:
                  Mystery Gauge.jpg
                  There are a number of pressure functions that show on the setup menu, however, my only choice for gauge selection is an automatic selection based on available data. No help there.
                  Is there a reference resource you could point me to that would give me a list of all data sources available to my engine?

Comment

The gauge pictured above on the Garmin screen
                    is for the NMEA 2000 parameter "Coolant Pressure"

which a Yamaha ECM can report via NMEA 2000
                    but only when the optional sensor is connected
                    to the engine harness "W" lead

Comment

Thanks fairdeal. I'll check that out tomorrow when I can get back to the boat.

Comment

Both issues are now solved:
                        Tilt sensor had a spring with some corrosion on it that prevented free movement of the sensor arm that should remain in contact with the engine during the tilting cycle. We cleaned and applied anti-corrosion lube on it. Thanks to boscoe99 for the guidance on this.

The coolant pressure sensor is connected to the engine block via a short hose. There was something inside the engine that was blocking the hole leading into the hose. A little compressed air back into the engine cleared it and it is now working as it should. Thanks to fairdeal for pointing me in the right direction on this.

I sure appreciate y'all helping me out.
                        <DJL>

Comment

Working...
                        X