Suzuki DT 140 cracked LU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
    But no one will deny that this is a patch up job.
    Like anything else, its been repaired W/O dropping 3X' more $ than the ENTIRE ENGINE is worth. To dump thousands into a 15 year old, $700 motor isn't prudent... $200.00 for 4-5 years of years, a no brainer..

Repaired cases, same thing we did (common as this cracking is also a common issue) is about $800.00.

When I pulled the carrier out, there was so much crap inside/corrosion.

Before re-assembly, it was spotless, ALL corrosion removed, coated with Zinc chromate (which it wasn't before) and coated with Yamaha's waterproof grease in the problem (corrosion prone areas).

That lower unit will last longer NOW, than the power head easily
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Good Job Man!

can we some some pics of the finished work?
      02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
      02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Thanks,

My neighbor picked up some gloss black Rusolem epoxy/paint as the outside was numerous colors (see prior pic's) and looked pretty nasty. The gloss black show's everything, but at least its one color...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          Like anything else, its been repaired W/O dropping 3X' more $ than the ENTIRE ENGINE is worth. To dump thousands into a 15 year old, $700 motor isn't prudent... $200.00 for 4-5 years of years, a no brainer..

Repaired cases, same thing we did (common as this cracking is also a common issue) is about $800.00.

When I pulled the carrier out, there was so much crap inside/corrosion.

Before re-assembly, it was spotless, ALL corrosion removed, coated with Zinc chromate (which it wasn't before) and coated with Yamaha's waterproof grease in the problem (corrosion prone areas).

That lower unit will last longer NOW, than the power head easily
          I am a strong believer in repair not throw away.
          And I a keen supporter of building up skills for everyone.
          If only it makes economic sense alone.

Do you estimate that this repair would have outlasted a new casing, assuming you could have got one of course?

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
            Do you estimate that this repair would have outlasted a new casing, assuming you could have got one of course?
            Of course not, new would be better... A bare, new housing is about 1K, bare..

Add in labor or special tools, replacement parts needed after a FULL TEAR DOWN and re-assembly, I'm sure your in the $2,000 plus range...

The entire engine, running good /repaired might be worth $800, much less with the cracked lower unit.

The entire boat might be worth 4K but works and runs well.

IMO, its a good $200 fix vs $14,000 for replacement 150 HP. As a side note, he lives full time in Colorado, comes down here on vacation a couple times of year, so the boat is NOT used in-between every 3-4 months.

*But, for someone looking to repair vs pitch a high $ item, a propeller shop for any type of fine aluminum welding would be a great place to start..
            Scott

Comment

Common zuk issue for those yr's

I pulled the LU that was craked and the custermer found a good used unit for $ 900 on ebay.... But then he pissed me off and I walked off the job and he cant find anyone around here to touch it...and its been sitting 8/9 years to boot... 200 DT zukky

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                I pulled the LU that was craked and the custermer found a good used unit for $ 900 on ebay.... But then he pissed me off and I walked off the job and he cant find anyone around here to touch it...and its been sitting 8/9 years to boot... 200 DT zukky
                Heck, doesn't take 20 minutes MAYBE to install the LU, tops (once cleaned up)...

My friends issue is that LU is becoming very rare and most are cracked.

Unless you pull the carrier and grease the exterior of the carrier where its tight with the housing itself every year or two, it'll corrode up and crack.
                Scott

Comment

Zukky 200 DT

Once you get cleaned up and get the nightmare drveshaft shaft bushing RnR'd into the lower end of the "megaphone"...Problem was getting the darn thing apart in the first place,,,Seized like a ____ and I know all the "Trick's" So, I'm thinking that this is a common failure on the late 80's zukk's...So now the guy has a gear case and a new batt, But NO boat Tech.....don't piss off the guy that has your motor apart....LOL

Comment

We didn't pull the drive shaft/bushings, just the prop shaft. Spent more time cleaning both the carrier and inside of the case from corrosion and crap.

We had to grind out the internal of the LU until I could get the carrier in W/O tearing up the large o-ring.

Our carrier was froze big time too. I used my HD steering wheel puller (a couple of bolts welded together for the metric threads), a heat gun set on high, lots of PB Blaster, a sleeve to keep the puller from slipping off the prop shaft, and probably 60 Ft lbs on the puller before she "popped"..
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-12-2015, 05:48 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

tough stuff

If you can find "areokroil" you will be WaYYY ahead of the ****..PB blaster is SoSo...not shure if I spelled that right but, Its a orange can and works the best....By Far

Comment

Working...
                      X