Command Link Gage Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Link Gage Issue

I recently bought a 1998 ProKat outfitted with 2005 Yamaha F200TXR s/n 1005922 & LF200TXR s/n 1001088, (4) square gages, approx. 700 hours, they start & idle fine, on the sea trial they seemed to be in some sort of limit mode, gages were either blank or -- across them. It didn't seem to go past mid throttle.
    I believed that they didn't make full power because of no tach signal, should be simple to fix, made a deal & brought it home. Don't judge me.
    It's proven to be more of an issue than I thought. The mechanic had swapped things all over the place, so I re-connected everything according to the rigging schematic, found & replaced an intermittently faulty dual key switch panel. I attempted to reset the gauges based on other problems I read about because I found that the Port engine was number 3. It reset fine, the starboard doesn't seem to be resetting. If I understand correctly, the reset procedure should change it to #1, then I would re-number it to #2. It doesn't seem to change. I routed the starboard engine pigtail from the rear hub to the port engine, started P engine & it shows port tach & fuel usage fine, routed it back to the Sbd engine, all gages goes to -- when I turn on the Stbd key. Stbd engine starts & idles fine.

Current indications are:
    Turn on P key, gages comes up to welcome screens, show P tach 0, Speed --, Fuel 0, S tach --. When I turn on the S key all gages go to --.
    Both engines will start & idle fine.

Any advice is appreciated, other than to not buy a boat that doesn't work correctly.

So I tried disconnecting the Stbd engine from the aft hub, disconnected the P tach, ran the P pigtail to the Stbd tach and still can't reset it. It gives the "engine number reset" scroll after holding the set button for 10 seconds, but after turning it off for 10 seconds it still shows it as engine 2 (or 1, 3,or 4- I tried just to see what would happen).

Interestingly, if I connect everything back except the pigtail from the Stbd engine to the hub, when I turn the Stbd switch on the gages don't go to --. When I connect it they will all go to -- when the Stbd switch is turned on, maybe something is shorted in the engine harness? It doesn't explain why the Stbd tach won't reset tho.

Comment

Has anyone else had a situation where the Tachometer wouldn't reset?

Comment

I bought the YDIS & connected it to the Stbd engine, no problems found, started on muffs & everything looks fine, no issues. Still no data displayed if I turn on the Stbd key.
        Took it out & ran around the bay, runs good, tops out around 42 in 1' chop and 15 mph headwind. It will plane with either engine. Port engine alone indicates like it should, if I turn on Stbd swith all gages go to --.

Comment

Anyone?
          It's hard to believe this is the first problem like this?

Comment

Failure of a tachometer signal should not affect operation of the motor. A tachometer of any kind does not even need to be installed for the motor to run just fine.

A flat line on the tachometer where the RPM value normally resides is an indication that the there is a loss of connectivity between the Command Link output connector and the tachometer.

I would start by making sure that all wiring connections are correct. Then reset the gauges as per the procedure in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulkanman View Post
              Anyone?
              It's hard to believe this is the first problem like this?
              I would agree with you. Some one, some where, has probably had this problem before. If fact, I would bet money on it. They found and solved their problems.

Now even if they had the same symptoms as you are having, their problem could have been entirely different. Different problems can manifest themselves in the same manner. What one guy found to solve the problem does not mean that will solve the next guys problem.

Comment

Thank you- I understand that different problems can cause similar indications.
                This image shows a different arrangement on the Hub 2 & Hub 3 connections than I currently have, I'll try that, but I'm pretty sure I have already.
                I was advised that a bad or wet sensor connector could cause a voltage drop on the 5VDC supply and cause this as well, I'll go through & clean connectors and see if anything changes.

Comment

I have replaced the ignition switches because the Stbd switch had an intermittent glitch. I replaced the connector from the engine to the pigtail that runs to the aft hub unit because it was cracked and the gasket didn't want to stay in. I removed covers and the airbox and removed each connector I could find, sprayed with contact cleaner & a silicone spray. I bought the YDIS CD on ebay and it shows no faults in the engine. I have deduced that the issue has to be either the harness or the ECU itself, and I've been told that if the ECU was bad the engine probably wouldn't run. The wiring harness looks fine, with no frays or hot spots. Is there any test or voltage that I should look for at the engine data output connector?

Comment

I swapped the ECU from Port to Stbd & vice versa to see if it was the harness or the ECU, when I turn on the Port key switch I get all gauges to --, when I turn it off & turn on the Stbd switch I get Port tach indicates 0. Stbd indicates --.
                    The problem followed the ECU to the Port engine, the ECU made the system indicate that the Stbd is now engine #1, Port is #2, with a bad ECU.
                    I swapped the ECU's back, problem returned to the Stbd engine. I believe I have a bad ECU, not a bad harness.
                    Does anyone have a F200 post 2006 ECU for sale? I believe it is part #60l-8591a-31-00
                    Last edited by Vulkanman; 07-28-2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

If I buy a used ECU, will my engine show the hours stored within it, or is it stored someplace else?

Comment

The identity of the engine as #1 or #2 is stored in the engine ECM
                        Once those "identities" have been written to the engine ECM -
                        moving the ECM to the other engine doesn't change anything -
                        the ECM still "knows" whether it is #1 or # 2

Now, you said you replaced the keyswitch;

there is an interesting situation
                        that the older type of keyswitch used on "conventional" rigging - NOT Command Link
                        will not work correctly with twin engines, and Command Link tachs -

you can't properly "initialize" the gauges/ECMs

you need to have the newer "Command Link" keyswitch

In the photo below,
                        the "old"/conventional keyswitch is on the left
                        the Command Link keyswitch is on the right

which are you using?

Comment

The one on the right, I replaced it with new.
                          The #1 ECU remained identified as Port Tach, but energized with the Stbd key switch because I put it in the Stbd engine.

Comment

Would an ECU from a F225 work properly ? P/N 69J-8591A-31-00

Comment

Anyone ever try it?

Comment

Working...
                              X