Lithium Ion Starting Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Ion Starting Batteries

So, Yamaha does not like people to use Lithium Ion batteries for starting. I have talked to several people using them and they report no problems. i have also talked to several suppliers and the one that sounds the best is a company called Ionics. they have a 125AH battery that I have seen many Youtube video's on with this battery. I talked to the company and they guarantee no problems as they have tested their batteries with all outboard engines. I am looking at getting a 115 Max SHO on my new boat and really like the Lithium batteries. Does anyone have any experience with Lithium Ion starting batteries? Any issues? Thanks in advance.

my guess is that the charging system is what does not get along with those batteries

Comment

Originally posted by Joe78734 View Post
      So, Yamaha does not like people to use Lithium Ion batteries for starting. I have talked to several people using them and they report no problems. i have also talked to several suppliers and the one that sounds the best is a company called Ionics. they have a 125AH battery that I have seen many Youtube video's on with this battery. I talked to the company and they guarantee no problems as they have tested their batteries with all outboard engines. I am looking at getting a 115 Max SHO on my new boat and really like the Lithium batteries. Does anyone have any experience with Lithium Ion starting batteries? Any issues? Thanks in advance.
      I don't believe that this is their position.

The situation is that there are many many many different flavours of lithium batteries out in the world. With ********g battery management systems. Yamaha is not in a position to know which ones will work and which ones will not work. And by not working, how the motor will be affected.

So, Yamaha specifies a type of battery that they know will work with all of their current models. Lead acid. Same with Mercury Marine. If Suzuki or Honda have rung in on this matter I am not aware of it.

Go on over to Bass Boats Central and take a look. Many are running certain lithium batteries with all types and brands of outboard motors. The key seems to be the battery having a management system (BMS) that when the battery gets charged the BMS will not disconnect itself from the motor's electrical generation system. Early lithium batteries did this.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe99 for your response. You are correct that it is the BMS that is key to the success or failure of the battery working. I did talk to both Yamaha and Merc tech support and I believe they are taking the "safe" route without having to test many batteries from different suppliers, and that does not mean the suppliers will not change the BMS at some point to cost reduce and suddenly the battery does not work. Yamaha told me the warranty will be void if I was to use Lithium batteries, at least that is what the person at Yamaha told me when I talked to him. I have not looked through their literature to see if it actually says that.

I'll take a look Bass Boats Central. Thanks for the recommendation. Most of the video's I've seen showing the use of Lithium batteries were all Bass boats. Ionics batteries seems to be a favorite among them and when I talked to Ionics they are claiming their BMS was tested with all the major engines and works with all engine manufactures. I think that's the direction wI will be going on my new boat. Thanks again for responding. Joe

Comment

How would Yamaha know if a lithium battery had been in use? Nothing that I know of that can tell them.

I suspect that you talked to a customer support guy in the US Yamaha office. They know next to nothing about lithium batteries. If anyone knows it is Yamahamoto back in Japan.

I liked Evinrude's approach. Put the burden on the battery maker.

Battery makers have stepped up IMO.

Comment

One final comment.

For years and years Yamaha USA said to use only flooded lead acid batteries. The kind to which water can be added. Otherwise the motor might be damaged.

Meanwhile, tens/hundreds/thousands of Yamaha owners were using AGM or Gel lead acid batteries daily. With no problems.

All of a sudden, and out of the blue, Yamaha said the use of AGM and Gel lead acid batteries is just fine.

I suspect the same will be said for lithium batteries some day.

Comment

Working...
            X