Analog Gauge Conversion Pro Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog Gauge Conversion Pro Series

Hi all. Looking for some guidance. I have a 2005 Yamaha F150 TLRD with the older gen 6Y5 mutlifuction digital tach and speedometer. I am looking to convert to the pro series analog gauges (Tach 6Y5-83540-20-00, Fuel 6Y5-85750-10-00, Voltage 6Y5-83503-00-00, Water Pressure 6Y5-83660-10-00, and Trim 2 wire 6Y5-83660-10-00).
    Is this a plug and play situation or do I need additional wiring from what I currently have running the digital gauges. Apart from the trim sender and the water pressure sender anything else I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, you don't need a different trim sender -
    but I think the part # for the 2-lead trim gauge is 6Y5-83670-12

And the water pressure "sender" is a plastic tube -
    similar to that which drives your current speedometer
    (although obviously connected differently at the engine.

The major question to settle;
    does your current multifunction tach have one, or two,
    4-wire plugs?
    If two, your current harness will be plug&play with the analog gauges
    if only one, I believe you'll need a short adapter harness.

And in any case,
    you'll need a few additional short wires to connect power, ground, backlight
    to the additional 3 gauges

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by laxguy1328 View Post
        I am looking to convert to the pro series analog gauges (Tach 6Y5-83540-20-00, Fuel 6Y5-85750-10-00, Voltage 6Y5-83503-00-00, Water Pressure 6Y5-83660-10-00, and Trim 2 wire 6Y5-83660-10-00).
        versus 6Y7 Pro Series II

Comment

Do I have to explain everything?

Connections will be the same.

Good luck finding new 6Y5 analog gauges. At a whole lot more money than for the 6Y7 gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Do I have to explain everything?

Connections will be the same.

Good luck finding new 6Y5 analog gauges. At a whole lot more money than for the 6Y7 gauges.

Well, you lived it - I'm trying to catch up with what is now 'history'...

From what I'm seeing,
            the 'original' Pro Series - the 6Y5
            dates from the pre-2005 two-engine-connector days

and so the tach has one of the two ivory plugs

and the trim meter has the other ivory plug.

The man says he's going to install the 6Y5 gauges.

A quick look at eBay shows some 'new old stock' is still available
            at what I assume is a savings over 6Y7

such as

https://www.ebay.com/p/1722242707

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-6Y5-...-/263600974419

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-O...QAAOSwjzdeK1~8

Comment

Boscoe
              I'm trying to do this same conversion to analog gauges on a 2005 F115. My gauge only lights the oil pressure light when I turn the key to on. Shouldn't the water pressure light also come on?

I have 2 plugs shown below on the motor. Did I good up and buy the single plug gauge and should have bought a two plug gauge?
              Last edited by Derrick929; 04-23-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                The major question to settle;
                does your current multifunction tach have one, or two,
                4-wire plugs?
                If two, your current harness will be plug&play with the analog gauges
                if only one, I believe you'll need a short adapter harness.
                Fairdeal,
                Would you possibly be able to find the part # for the two plug adapter harness you mentioned? I believe my motor has 2 plugs and my gauge has one. I’m only getting an oil pressure light and no temp light so this may be my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick929 View Post

Boscoe
                  I'm trying to do this same conversion to analog gauges on a 2005 F115. My gauge only lights the oil pressure light when I turn the key to on. Shouldn't the water pressure light also come on?

I have 2 plugs shown below on the motor. Did I good up and buy the single plug gauge and should have bought a two plug gauge?
                  What water pressure light? There is no water pressure light that I am aware of.

Some Yamaha analog tachometers have two lights. One for low oil pressure and one for over temperature. In some instances both lights will illuminate briefly when the key is turned on. If one of the two lights does not illuminate I would suspect a failed bulb. If the bulb is good then I would suspect a wiring issue.

A USA 2005 F115 would be an F115TLRD model. It should have one trim/oil connector. Like shown in the diagram above. What country are you in? F115 models delivered to other countries got the change from two four pin connectors to one four pin connectors later.

The gauge with the single four pin connector can be mated to a motor with two four pin connectors via the use of a Yamaha adapter harness.
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 04-23-2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick929 View Post

Boscoe

Some Yamaha analog tachometers have two lights. One for low oil pressure and one for over temperature. In some instances both lights will illuminate briefly when the key is turned on. If one of the two lights does not illuminate I would suspect a failed bulb. If the bulb is good then I would suspect a wiring issue.

A USA 2005 F115 would be an F115TLRD model. It should have one trim/oil connector. Like shown in the diagram above.

What country are you in? F115 models delivered to other countries got the change from two four pin connectors to one four pin connectors later.

The gauge with the single four pin connector can be mated to a motor with two four pin connectors via the use of a Yamaha adapter harness.

Comment

one of the two plugs is just for the trim indication
                      (the lower one, fully visible in you photo)

the other plug is just for the low oil pressure and overheat lamps.

What Yamaha has done over the years
                      with permutations of the gauge wiring is mind-numbing,
                      I'm almost comfortable with the digital tach/trim multifunction meter
                      but the analog is another level...
                      I'll see what I can find out.

Perhaps Boscoe will check back and save the day.

Comment

Comment

A USA 2005 F115 would be an F115TLRD model. It should have one trim/oil connector. Like shown in the diagram above.

What country are you in?
                          I really appreciate you guys helping, I’ve been trying to search and figure this out but I’ve not had any luck. I apologize, i meant the over temp light not water pressure. I am in the US, let me double check the year, it may be a 2004, would that affect 1 vs 2 plug?

Comment

Change for US models occurred in 2005. A 2004 US model year motor will have two four pin connectors.

Comment

Change for US models occurred in 2005. A 2004 US model year motor will have two four pin connectors.
                              Ok, I made it home and was able to verify the year. It is a F115TLRB, which should be a 2003, it’s been a few years since I looked at the year model, I apologize for the confusion, I should have verified first but wasn’t at home. The details mean everything.

So is this my problem? Do I need the adapter harness you noted above to convert the two plugs to the single gauge plug so that both indicator lights function correctly? This would be great if ya’ll have solved this problem for me. I believe it may also help with getting my trim gauge to function properly too.

I happened to see this thread on the same topic so it was perfect timing.

Comment

Working...
                              X