2001 OX66 pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 OX66 pistons

Finally got around to figuring out the noise in my motor , it was a failed rod bearing that caused the squeaking noise , wore out wrist pins made the ticking noise , #2 that has the failed rod bearing had enough slop that the skirt was hitting the block at BDC

Anybody know why the parts manuals show the #1 piston as a separate item but has the same part number as #3 and #5 ? the rings show the same part number

and the some of the aftermarket pistons show the same part number for Port and Starboard , I guess they dont have "up" written on them and you just flip them over for the other side .

Anybody had any luck with different aftermarket brands ?
    Attached Files

How are you going to go about rebuilding your motor when the model and horse power are not known?

Comment

Still no model identity?

Comment

Your crankshaft would be toast too. Looks like the roller bearings ground themselves away, small fragments most likely causing the scoring of piston and bore.

Lesson is immediately stop and investigate noise. That engine noise clearly would have sounded like the engine was about to “blow up”.

Interestingly the top piston ring seems to have excessive expansion; usually the spring tension lessens or fatigues after awhile especially in a sick engine where the piston might heat up a bit more.

Comment

Zeno do you have any idea what model the OP is talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by KW2220CC View Post
            Finally got around to figuring out the noise in my motor , it was a failed rod bearing that caused the squeaking noise , wore out wrist pins made the ticking noise , #2 that has the failed rod bearing had enough slop that the skirt was hitting the block at BDC

Anybody know why the parts manuals show the #1 piston as a separate item but has the same part number as #3 and #5 ? the rings show the same part number

and the some of the aftermarket pistons show the same part number for Port and Starboard , I guess they dont have "up" written on them and you just flip them over for the other side .

Anybody had any luck with different aftermarket brands ?
            Yes. Reason can be seen in the parts catalogs.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Zeno do you have any idea what model the OP is talking about?
              does not matter,
              looks like he needs block, crank, and pistons to start out with.
              not worth fooling with

Comment

motor is a LX200TXRZ , crank looks surprisingly good , cant feel anything with the fingernail , dropped it off at the machine shop today to get checked out .

After taking it apart I made the right call when I turned around at the end of the no wake zone , only had a half mile ride back to the dock

its hard to tell in the pic but the the bore doesnt look that bad above the ports , that would explain why the rings are tore up , I measured the ring in gap on that cylinder and the top ring was in spec

0.014 for the top ring and 0.015 for the bottom ring

Comment

Found an NOS wiesco piston locally for $47 out the door , dropped it off at the machine shop today , if for some reason i can return it

m3.jpgm2.jpgm1.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

does not matter,
                    not worth fooling with
                    you can see some metal specs in the in head , but they washed off easily
                    m6.jpgm4.jpgm5.jpg

Comment

The second journal from the top doesn't look too good to me (going by the photo) was that the cylinder that had "issues"

Comment

#2 was the problem child

Comment

this is my original post ,
                          https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...chirping-noise
                          it has more details on my issues .. long story short bought the boat 7.31.2019 , put 200+ plus hours on it (90% fresh water , thanks covid lock down) ,did tons of repairs and updates to the boat , rewired , replaced steering , uplustry , electronics ect , went to the keys with a group of friends in august , and brought a small boat that I pulled out of the woods in may of 2020( had been sitting since 05 ) , every thing was going fine until day 5 when i noticed a noise and it sputtered for the first time since we have had it , leaving the gas dock at Captain Hook's in Marathon ... in 4 days we put 39 hours on the motor with no issues, went to the humps 3 times ...we would leave at 7 am and get home at 6pm everyday with 7 on board and use the little boat for bully netting
                          Last edited by KW2220CC; 02-04-2021, 11:06 PM.

Comment

https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...chirping-noise

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

does not matter,
                              not worth fooling with

Comment

Working...
                              X