OX66 200HP chirping noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX66 200HP chirping noise

I have a 2001 200HP OX66 with about 950 hours , on a trip to florida in august the motor started to make a chirping noise , ran all the normal diagnostics compression ranges from 109 to 120 psi , wrist pins dont seem to have any slop .

took it to an outboard shop and the think it is something in the crank , possibly the upper crank bearing , before I spend a fortune I would like to confirm the source of the noise

I pulled the flywheel , stator and pick up assembly I am curious of I can pull the seal retainer and gain access to inspect the bearing without having to pull the power heard to split the case

I can tell by the parts diagrams if there is a locating pin in the housing , any thoughts ?

Maybe that driveshaft bushing needs lubrication....drop lower unit to inspect....easy fix...

Comment

some may call a lean sneeze a chirping noise

Comment

I forgot to mention that that bushing was replaced about 125 hours ago and I ran the motor with the foot removed and it still makes the chirping sound , it I rock the flywheel back and forth by hand it makes a noise for the first few degrees almost like there is some slop somewhere , pulled and inspected the flywheel and didnt see any obvious problems

Its not mis-firing or "four stroking" like a lean sneeze

Comment

Don't know if it would show (probably not, but), I'd do a leak down test (each cylinder on TDC) and also scope the cylinders for any scoring.

If any damage to the cylinders, you'll know that would be an added expense, (perhaps helping to make a decision).

Might see something but each test doesn't take long and isn't invasive...

Lastly, see if the chirping stops when pulling and grounding a spark plug wire (while running) one at a time..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-02-2020, 01:30 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by KW2220CC View Post
            I forgot to mention that that bushing was replaced about 125 hours ago and I ran the motor with the foot removed and it still makes the chirping sound , it I rock the flywheel back and forth by hand it makes a noise for the first few degrees almost like there is some slop somewhere , pulled and inspected the flywheel and didnt see any obvious problems

are you saying you rotate the flywheel back and forth looking for rotational slop?
            or you push and pull 180 degrees back and forth across the flywheel to see if the crankshaft has slop?

Sounds like you are doing the rotational one.
            maybe pull plugs and insert a wood dowel to monitor piston movement , rotate back and forth to see if any of the pistons do not move as much.
            crank/rod bearings or wrist pins/piston clearance problems

Comment

I did the dowel pin test , and ran a camera down the bores , all look good , also checked the reed valves , when I say I rotate the crank its just a little bit maybe 30 degrees in both directions the noise stops after the 20-30 degrees of rotation , I pulled plug wires while it was running and it didnt change the sound , from what I understand it idles on the top 4 cylinders so obviously the cylinder drop test was not affected by the dropping the bottom two cylinders

Comment

What does squirting oil into the bearing make to the noise? That’s assuming you can actually get to it- need to pull flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by KW2220CC View Post

so you could make it chirp by moving the flywheel by hand with the lower unit removed?

my thoughts are something rubbing to make a chip.
                  Is it just one spot in the 360 degree movement of the flywheel or multiple places

Comment

the chirping noise only happens when it is running same sound with and with out lower attached
                    pulled flywheel and stator nothing out of place or signs of rubbing
                    turning the motor my hand it makes a noise for 20-30 degrees of rotation then noise stops

Comment

doesn't seem to be in any particular spot

Comment

since the noise seems to be coming from the top of the motor , I pulled the flywheel , stator and pick up coils , saw nothing out of place , or signs of rubbing , do anybody know if the upper seal/bearing housing and be removed without splitting the block ?

Comment

I would think it could be, but maybe the manual would state it somewhere.
                          I am not sure if there is anything to get a hold of to pull it like that tho

Comment

Well I finally got around to looking at it and I discovered the #2 rod bearing is bad , will pull the cyl head and pop the piston rod assembly out to see how bad the damage
                            found some "speed glitter " in the crankcase and I can shake the rod . all the glitter is ferrous so hopefully the the case halves arnt trashed

The noise I was describing when manually turning the flywheel is the water pump I think
                            Attached Files

Comment

pulled #2 and the rod and bearing is trashed , crank looks ok , will need to punch out that cylinder , doest look too bad , but more that than a ball hone can clean up , wrist pin also has a lot of slop , skirt also touched the crankcase at BDC , puled #4 yesterday and it is in good shape , a little play in the wrist pin but not as bad as #2

Comment

Working...
                              X