No announcement yet.

System check gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the check gauge is LED's, not lights so cannot check for continuity. However, I can and did check them using the diode function of the multi-meter. As expected, three work fine (conduct forward polarity-nothing reverse polarity), however the Rev Limit does not test as expected. I too worried I might have damaged the Rev Limit gauge by grounding the pink wire instead of applying +12v. I hope not, but if I did, not a huge deal as I have three other warning lights, including the two I need Over Temp and Oil Press. I also have a useful indicator that I can use for other purposes with the generic Check Engine legend. As pointed out, that is all I need.

Fairdeal you make a good point. In addition to the ECM not providing the functionality, the Yamaha wiring harness also doesn't carry a signal for anything else. The reason that I am pursuing this is I always try to completely understand anything I am building and it drives me nuts when I must just accept something without understanding why. A bit of OCD perhaps? I would really like to know what the Rev Limit light is expecting, and I think from the schematic above, it is pretty clear that it wants a +12v to light. Unfortunately, I cannot open it up without doing significant damage to the instrument body. I am not prepared to do so at this time as I want to use the instrument. Maybe later I will cut the back off and take a look at the circuit board.

On a side note, I also have a blank gauge that I hoped I could use to make my own warning light panel, but it has the same problem. I cannot access the inside of the gauge, at least easily, to add circuitry. I have a simple circuit that I designed to monitor the fuses on my bilge pumps that I thought about including inside the blank gauge. The circuit uses a bicolor LED that glows green if the pump supply circuit is hot and will glow red if the pump fuse is blown or missing. A quick check for a bit of peace of mind. I will probably add these to my bilge switch panel instead.

Comment

if they are LED, then something have to reduce the voltage since LEDs do not take 12v to operate

Comment

Comment

That helps. But it confirms that the Rev Limit indicator should work if the Pink Wire is +12v (as long as the Gray is +12v and Black is Gnd). ECM definitely sources power (+5v or+12v?) for Rev Limit while it sinks (Gnd) for the other three. Looks like I very likely have a bad indicator in my gauge.

That is a Suzuki ECM I guess?

Thanks for this.
          Last edited by Bateau_CX19; 12-03-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Yes. Suzuki ECM. Page from a Suzuki service manual.

Comment

Working...
            X