System check gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System check gauge

I am asking in the Yamaha Forum because I intend to use this gauge on my Yamaha F115XB along with my other analog Teleflex gauges, at least initially. The boat is in the middle of being setup so that it is hopefully ready for the motor and use early next year.

I have a Teleflex Lido 65668SEF System Check gauge similar to this https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/te...-suzuki-2-inch that came with no wiring isntructions. I have figured out some/most of the wiring of this gauge but unfortunately, I cannot open it uop to confirm the remaining wires. The harness on the gauge consists of two single wires with bullet connectors, one black and one gray. In addition, there is a four female pin, male square connector that fits nicely into my Yamaha Trim and Tach harness (6Y5-83653-10-00). In this harness, the Oil Pressure (Grn/red > blue) and the Engine Temperature (Grn > Grn/Yel) connectors line up nicely so that they will light on the gauge when the engine signals an issue. Unfortunatety, the the other two connectors in the harness are for Trim (pink) and "unused" (gray). These two line up with Rev Limit and Check Engine on the gauge respectively. That means I must make an intermediate cable to isolate only the signals I want from the Trim/Tilt harness. This is not a problem although it would be nice to find these particluar connectors elsewhere to make the job easier and neater.

My questions are:

1. How is the systems check gauge wired for Rev Limit? In other words, what signal does it expect and where does this signal normally come from? It appears that this warning light does NOT come on when the corresponding pin is grounded like the other three do.

2. How would Check Engine be used on an outboard, or would it? Not a problem if not, I can use the warning light for another purpose or piggy back it onto oil pressure and/or overheat.

3. Why would the gauge have a seemingly redundant ground wire? Or, I guess a better question is are the Gray and Black wires actually for +12v ignition and Ground?

4. Are the 4 pin connectors (as used on the Yamaha Trim/tach harness) available "off the shelf" or am I going to have to find a sacrificial harness to cut up in order to make a custom cable?

Thanks again for any help from the experts on this site!

check_eng_gauge.jpg
    Last edited by Bateau_CX19; 11-30-2020, 08:28 PM.

Ummmm, I've been repairing,, Installing for over40 YRs.. SO,, I can tell you to buy the correct yammy guage and be done with it. For Gods Sake !!! U don't install a VW part on a PORSHE

Comment

Porsche....ARGG !!

Comment

there's no problem using that non-Yamaha device
        however,
        while the engine ECM is able to illuminate warning lamps for over temp and low oil pressure,
        AFAIK there is no "check engine" warning lamp function
        nor a 'rev limit' warning lamp function.

I can't speak to why the Teleflex gauge needs its own ground,
        but as you've observed,
        the indicator lamps light when their lead is grounded -
        which is what the ECM provides.

You might find the 4-pin connector at the Eastern Beaver website -
        Yamaha usually uses Sumitomo or Furukawa styles

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/E...onnectors.html

are you are also going to have a trim gauge?

Comment

Thanks Fairdeal. Yes, I have a full complement of new Lido gauges, including trim. Ultimately, I hope to get most of my engine monitoring across NEMA2000 and into a compatible display. However, in the meantime, I dont want to be without at least oil press/eng temp indicators. That is what I intend to use the system monitor gauge for at this point. I am trying to understand what the gauge needs to see to trigger the Rev Limit just to understand its functionality. I could have simply used indiactor lights for the engine monitoring, but the gauge is nicely finished and compliembnts the other Lido gauges I have. I have a Teleflex Lido gauge wiring document, but it doesn't talk about the system monitor gauge - not sure why.

I expected to be told to 'just buy Yamaha gauges' and I still might. However, they are another $1000 (tach and speedo) that I would have to spend and would rather use that $1000 towards a nice multi function chart plotter, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
            Ummmm, I've been repairing,, Installing for over40 YRs.. SO,, I can tell you to buy the correct yammy guage and be done with it. For Gods Sake !!! U don't install a VW part on a PORSHE
            In the end, they're both temperamental German engineering. I already have one German vehicle with a mind of it's own, not sure I need more....... ;-)

Comment

In years past, Yamaha offered an analog output for a "check engine" icon on older Yamaha multifunction tachometers. That output was discontinued. The motors no longer provide the output and there is no provision within later configuration tachometers for a check engine icon to be displayed.

A "check engine" function is provided today but it is digital. What Yamaha refers to as Command Link. Or Command Link Plus.

Yamaha's do not use an "over rev" caution system. A system wherein a light or a horn would sound. Your Yamaha has over rev protection built in. At or about 6200 RPM, should you be not minding the throttle or paying attention to the tachometer, you will feel the engine start to misfire certain cylinders. That you be your clue to wake up, pay attention, and retard the throttle.

With or without low oil pressure or engine over temperature indications the motor will still be alerting you to a problem. The warning horn will sound. The motor will put itself into RPM reduction mode. The lights merely help in knowing which system is causing the alarm to sound.

Comment

That's Boscoe

The informatrion is helpful. I am still interested in what the gauge is expecting to see for over rev. The light didnt come on when I grounded the pink wire (maybe I should try again) so I suspect something different.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

You might find the 4-pin connector at the Eastern Beaver website -
                  Yamaha usually uses Sumitomo or Furukawa styles

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/E...onnectors.html
                  Thanks for the link. Great souurce of hard to find (locally) connectors!

Comment

Originally posted by Bateau_CX19 View Post
                    That's Boscoe

The informatrion is helpful. I am still interested in what the gauge is expecting to see for over rev. The light didnt come on when I grounded the pink wire (maybe I should try again) so I suspect something different.
                    I would suspect that one of the wires to the gauge, when grounded by the ECU, will illuminate the rev limit light. Have you grounded all of the wires to verify which wire causes which lamp to illuminate?

Here is some related info from a Zuk manual.
                    kingdom hearts aqua wallpaper

Comment

I did check all four connectors, but in a cold dark garage using a piece of wire. All of the lights came on Except the Rev Limit. I will go and try again. Might have been a mistake on my part.

Thanks for the graphic.

Update: From your graphic, it appears motor check wants a pull to positive signal on the pink wire (Rev Limit), not a pull to ground. The ECU must provide a +12v signal on Rev Limit.

Unfortunately, still no luck on my gauge!
                      Last edited by Bateau_CX19; 12-01-2020, 01:52 PM. Reason: clarification from provided trouble shooting graphic

Comment

Damn my eyes. I see now that the pink wire is to have 12 volts positive applied. My bad. Wonder what Suzuki's thinking is?

Hopefully, applying a ground to the pink wire did not damage the gauge assembly.

Comment

Is there any way to open up the gauge so as to get access to the lamps inside? I am picturing three of them having positive power applied whereas the fourth is grounded.

Comment

should be able to see that with an ohm meter if the bulbs are good.
                            applying a ground to something that already has a ground should not hurt it

Comment

Originally posted by Bateau_CX19 View Post
                              Update: From your graphic, it appears motor check wants a pull to positive signal on the pink wire (Rev Limit), not a pull to ground. The ECU must provide a +12v signal on Rev Limit.

What does it matter what a Suzuki ECU does or doesn't do?
                              or how the Teleflex instrument is wired?

Your Yamaha ECM does not have the functionality of a "Rev Limit" warning lamp.

You can get an indication of overtemp
                              You can get an indication of low oil pressure.

That's it.

Comment

Working...
                              X