F225 No Water From Tell Tale After Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 No Water From Tell Tale After Repair

Looking for some help with an issue we are having with our 2005 Yamaha F225TURD. We recently pulled the outboard apart to install an exhaust corrosion kit, new water tube, new oil pump/crankshaft speedi sleeve, new water impeller and new fuel injectors. We got it all put back together and went to test run it and it fired up right away but we are not getting water to come out the tell tale. Its being run in a water tank and not with muffs. When the motor is run water comes out a hole near the lower bracket screws and water comes out the oil drain plug area. I uploaded a video on YouTube today that shows the problem as its hard to describe. Is there anything that could be causing this that I am overlooking? We pulled the lower unit again today to make sure the water tube was lined up correctly and it was. Blew some compressed air thru the tell tale to check for clogs. It is about 0 degrees here too so not sure if maybe some water froze in one of the lines but that seems unlikely since this is the first time it has been started in over a month. All cable/hoses are reconnected except for the intake silencer is still off. Any help you can provide is appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF8L...ature=youtu.be

I gather the impeller was installed into the cup while turning the drive shaft CLOCKWISE CORRECT? (Correct orientation of impeller blades, looking down at the shaft).

I'd probably pull the T-stat (perhaps any water jacket sensors as well) and see if your getting water up that high into the engine itself..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes we rotated the shaft to get the blades oriented in the right direction. Thanks for the idea for checking the thermostat, we will give that a try and recheck the impeller if we are not getting water up there.

Comment

I know they say to make sure lower unit sits in a bucket far enough that the water pump is underwater.
        those rubber impellers do not suck air good enough to get water up to the pump

are you sure you have the grommet in the water pump housing in place that the tube slides into?
        Is there one on the other side of the tube where it meets the block?

wrong gasket or gasket put in wrong?

since this was taken apart so far, there could be problems in there anyplace

Comment

Maybe stick a section of weedeater line up into tell-tale, just to be sure it's open....the tell-tale flow is not very high pressure and it doesn't take much to plug it up...

Comment

I am pretty confident that all the gaskets were installed correctly since they would only go on in the spots they were designed for with the dowels. We might bring it down to the boat ramp here to get the engine lower in the water to see if that helps. Another thing that I forgot to add is that water is coming out the garden hose flush out port. Could that mean that one of the hoses is installed incorrectly? Not sure if that hose normally has water in it while running

Comment

Originally posted by hewbztron View Post
              I am pretty confident that all the gaskets were installed correctly since they would only go on in the spots they were designed for with the dowels. We might bring it down to the boat ramp here to get the engine lower in the water to see if that helps. Another thing that I forgot to add is that water is coming out the garden hose flush out port. Could that mean that one of the hoses is installed incorrectly? Not sure if that hose normally has water in it while running
              With the hose disconnected, water will flow outward from it (normal)with the engine running (in the water or on muffs)...

Of course, with it not screwed on, your loosing some water volume to the power head.

*Different engines, will sometimes act differently on muffs. On my F150, I can run on muffs, WITH THAT HOSE OPEN, and it will run fine and not overheat.
              Other F150's, some will throw an overheat alarm JUST on muffs (and that hose properly closed/screwed on)..

It does sound like your getting water pretty high up in the engine(I'd still check the t-stat, etc), but also the pisser hoses (as noted above)..

Scott

Comment

How much water was coming out of the hose connection while running?
                and why was it not screwed on to close it off?

I believe those motors have a fuel cooler on them and it might exit the tell tale.
                someone else that knows those motors well will need to confirm if that is correct

Comment

It was a small amount coming out, it looked like it just wasn’t screwed in all the way. After it we tightened down it didn’t leak. Just wasn’t sure if it was normal for water to build up in there when the motor was running

Comment

So it's fixed?
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      So it's fixed?
                      I do not think so.

why would water come out of the oil plug area?
                      how could water get to that area?

Comment

Originally posted by hewbztron View Post
                        It was a small amount coming out, it looked like it just wasn’t screwed in all the way. After it we tightened down it didn’t leak. Just wasn’t sure if it was normal for water to build up in there when the motor was running

99Yam, re above post, quote:
                        why would water come out of the oil plug area?
                        how could water get to that area?

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Looking at the parts list, it's a damper, part #35: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...d/upper-casing

Capture.JPG

I have no clue what it does but I would strongly suggest it SHOULDN'T LEAK.

Here's a video of my F150, look at about the 15 second and on. There is NO water coming from the area
                        that is on your You Tube video:
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...ream/lightbox/

I'm guessing something's not correct with that water coming out and that water is leaking out and not all going to where it should.
                        (Dunno if this helps)..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-06-2020, 06:10 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

We got a good stream of water to come out the tell tale now, we are thinking the water tub we had the lower unit in wasn’t tall enough and it was sucking air or the line was blocked with some frozen water. Ran it in a bigger water container and let it idle longer and now it’s working fine. I stopped by the Yamaha dealer this morning and showed the mechanic the video with the water coming out the oil plug and he wasn’t sure what could cause that. He thought the damper seal #35 in the picture above might be bad. I thought that piece was to keep oil from dripping down the inside when the plug is pulled but I am not sure. He made it sound like it’s nothing to be too concerned about. Going to do a test run out on the ocean later this week when the weather gets better. Thanks for the ideas and help, hopefully no more issues

Comment

Working...
                          X